Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure if I''m producing enough! Help!

Default Not sure if I''m producing enough! Help!

My son is currently 15 weeks old and is a great nurser. However, during the day, he will try to nurse and then keep pulling off and just cry hysterically. I will attempt to keep putting him on and he will suck a couple of times and then pull off and cry. Now, he is bottle fed with my breast milk while I work, and then I feed him from myself when I am home with him. I am starting to think that he is not getting enough from me because if I give him a bottle of milk, he will drink the whole thing up (roughly 6-8 ounces) after he does these crying fits. I think my supply may be going down now that he is sleeping through the night. He is sleeping from 8pm until 6pm without eating. I do not want to start supplementing him but when I pump, I will only get between 3-6 ounces total, and that is clearly not enough for him. I'm not sure what to do! Any suggestions?
    Last edited by @llli*ashley.martinez; September 9th, 2011 at 02:19 PM.

Default Re: Not sure if I''m producing enough! H

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on making it to 15 weeks! The first thing that struck me about your post is that your baby is getting a 6-8 oz bottle. That is a HUGE amount for a baby that age. Most young babies take only around 2-4 oz at the breast, and need only about that much in a bottle, too. Now, almost all babies will drink more- sometimes way more- than that when given a bottle, because the mechanics of bottle-feeding are so different. When a baby nurses, milk flow slows down to a trickle or stops as soon as he is full and transitions from sucking for nutrition to sucking for comfort. When a baby feeds from a bottle, that doesn't happen: even when the baby is comfort-sucking the bottle delivers the same rapid flow. Babies who do this routinely can come to expect a feeling of being stuffed to the gills, and they can also come to prefer the ease of feeding from the bottle, leading them to fuss when they have to nurse.

Regarding your pumping output, 3-6 oz sounds like it is actually excellent supply. Most moms yield about 1.5 oz per hour, so depending on how frequently you are pumping you are probably yielding quite a bit more milk than average!

Having a baby who sleeps through the night must be nice. But at this point, I wouldn't encourage it. You want your baby to get lots of practice nursing, and to think of the breast as a nice place to be- so waking him in the night, or co-sleeping and allowing him to nurse in his sleep, are probably a good ways to attack the issues you're having. If you can't bring yourself to do that, you may want to pump in the wee hours. You'd probably get quite a lot of milk, and if you find you are having trouble keeping up with your baby's needs, a nighttime pumping session would help you catch up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That is quite helpful! Yes, I suppose I should either wake him to eat at some point or just get up during the night to pump. That makes sense! Thank you so much for writing back.

I notice my daughter being fussy while eating, if she has to burp. I make sure to burp her after eating from each side, or halfway in between feedings. This really helps her, I hope it helps you and your little one too!