Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for Pump Recommendation

Question Looking for Pump Recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive pump that works well for large breasted ladies? I have one that was given to me by a friend and it is almost 10 years old. It hurts a lot to use it and I can't seem to express more then half an oz. in a 10-15min period. Then I'm sore the rest of the day. My breast are quite large (probably over a DD by now) I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 3 week old with no problems but will be returning to teaching yoga classes at the end of September. I'd like to get a good supply in the freezer for my husband when I'm not here. But this pump is very discouraging. Anyone have any ideas for a better pump?
    Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Looking for Pump Recommendation

What kind of pump do you currently have? You may simply need to get different size horns for it. Also, you need to be careful with a used pump. Some are nearly impossible to clean fully and can harbor germs. Most pumps are designed for single use only.

Thanks for your reply. I believe it is a Medela Pump in Style Original. I've looked it up to get parts and they don't actually make this pump anymore. So I can't get parts for it. Are the horns usually interchangeable from pump to pump? This is all very new to me since this is my first baby. So many things to learn. I'm planning on going to a LLLI meeting in our area in a few weeks just to get involved. And I'm sure I'll find some answers to other questions too. I'm really enjoying breastfeeding but am so discouraged with the pumping right now.

If it is a Medela pump then you should definitely call them, most Medela pumps will accept the personal fit shields. Their customer service is great and extremely helpful. This site can help you determine if you are using the right size shield http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

this is a hard question to answer because each woman has a different reaction with each pump. i love my medela pump in style advanced but my good friend bought the same one and hates it. but i was using it 10 times a day because my lo wouldnt latch. she only uses hers for a random missed feeding. i also love my medela manual pump and i know a lady who used a manual pump while at work because it was so quiet but most people will say a manual is not good enough for pumping long term but she did it for a year and hated all other pumps. manual pumps are pretty cheap though and if you are only pumping for one feeding a couple times a week im thinking it would work for you. or even a single electric pump is cheaper. but like i said most lactation consultants will tell you if you are pumping for several feedings a day long term a double electric pump is what is recommended for keeping your supply up

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

The pump-in-style original in my experience is much harder on the breasts than the newer versions with the double phase expression technology. You also need to be careful that you're not turning the vacuum too high.

Different women do have different experience with pumps, so what works for one will not necessarily work for another. I would also definitely second the opinion of checking the size of your flanges. Here's a good link.

http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

When I first started pumping, my flanges were too small, and the company didn't even make flanges large enough for me. (I'm small breast but large nippled.) I switched to a Medela pump, and used their largest flange for months but did eventually find that I was more comfortable with a totally different brand that was even bigger (www.pumpinpal.com--but lots of people on LLL haven't had good success with those).

Other moms can give you good advice on freezer stashes (lots of moms don't store a lot, but just pump enough for the next day's feedings), but a lot depends on how many hours you'll be gone from your LO and how many feedings you'll miss. The quality of the pump you'll need does depend on what kind of rigorous use it will get. Maybe you can share some more information and get recommendations more tailored to your situation.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I would suggest getting a new pump. The new pumps are much smoother than the old ones, and that's probably some of your soreness, and the new ones can extract more milk with less trauma for most mothers.

If you are going to be away consistently for a few days a week, you would probably want a double electric pump. I've had OK results with just about every professional grade one out there. STAY AWAY from the cheap ones sold at X-Mart or T-t, like the Playtex or MiPump. They are not good. But if you go with a Lansinoh, Medela, Hygiea, that sort, you will be OK.

Whether or not you want a double electric or not depends on how often you are doing this. When I went back to work myself after baby #2, I was working just PT, and I did just fine with a hand pump, and most of those (Medela, Avent, Lansinoh) are very, very good. I did just fine pumping at work and pumping a bit at home to provide enough milk for the few hours a week I was away from baby. The problem with those is that the horn size of a manual is what it is. The double electrics may have bigger horn sizes available.

You could also look at a single electric. It's cheaper, and if you pump while nursing, you can collect some milk that way. However, it would double the time you pump when away from baby, as you pump one side, then switch, then switch, then switch again to fully drain your breasts. Medela has one, but there's also the new Tommee Tippee (I'm thinking of getting one just to try it myself to see if it's any good.).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If $ is an object, you might consider renting a pump from the hospital. I did that at first and it was only $70.00 a month, and I only used it one month so that I could confirm I'd be able to breastfeed and pump, then I bought a Medela PISA, which works great for me.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong