Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question for you experienced mommas

Default A Question for you experienced mommas

I have low milk supply, I'm currently on 40 mg of domeperidone 4 times a day that my Dr/lactation nurse put me on. I feed on demand, always have. I feed my son every 1-1.5 hours when he is awake. When he sleeps, he goes 5 hours without a feed. We cosleep and he uses me as a pacifier, does not take a pacifier otherwise. He is in the 5th percentile he's 4.5 months old As per Ped. suggestion I'm feeding my son banana in the morning in addition to nursing and rice cereal in the afternoon. My son refuses formula, i've tried like 8 different kinds. I hate formula too, my goal is to go back to exclusively breast feeding, I feel my son is too young for solids, but I can't stand the thought of him going hungry. My son nurses on average 10 times in 24 hrs. Since he's at the breast so often, I can only pump at night when he's asleep, I have a medela hospital grade double pump. I usually get between 1-3 oz at that time.
    What can I do to drop solids without my son going hungry? Thank you so much.

Default Re: A Question for you experienced momma

Well if you nurse and pump that much it seems like your supply is fine . What is his diaper out? How many wet or poopy diapers per day? Is he healthy otherwise and meeting all other milestones?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Sorry one other question, what is his weight gain pattern? Is he just a small baby but gaining normally? Or does he not gain any weight over a week or month?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

can you give us a full weight history on your LO, and tell us if he is devloping normally in other ways (growing in height, gaining head circumference, mastering milestones)? There's nothing wrong with being in the 5th percentile- healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes, and statistically speaking there are just as many babiesin the 95th percentile as there are in the 5th, and no-one worries about the big babies despite our obesity epidemic...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    can you give us a full weight history on your LO, and tell us if he is devloping normally in other ways (growing in height, gaining head circumference, mastering milestones)? There's nothing wrong with being in the 5th percentile- healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes, and statistically speaking there are just as many babiesin the 95th percentile as there are in the 5th, and no-one worries about the big babies despite our obesity epidemic...
    Birth weight (04-08-11) 7# 2oz Discharged from hospital 6# 11oz
    2 weeks 7# 8.4oz 3 weeks 7# 13oz
    4 weeks 8# 3.6oz 5 weeks 8# 12oz
    7 weeks 9# 6oz 10 weeks 10# 11.8oz
    12 weeks 11# .4 oz 13 weeks 10# 10oz
    15 weeks 11# 4.4oz 20 weeks 13# 6oz
    He is growing slowly in height and head circumference, but he is growing. He rolled over one time from his stomach to his back, but hasn't done more since.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Well if you nurse and pump that much it seems like your supply is fine . What is his diaper out? How many wet or poopy diapers per day? Is he healthy otherwise and meeting all other milestones?
    THe Lactation consultant said that he was a lazy nurser, he basically gets one let down and falls Asleep, when the let down finishes he stops sucking. He does not keep sucking to elicit a 2nd let down.

Sorry one other question, what is his weight gain pattern? Is he just a small baby but gaining normally? Or does he not gain any weight over a week or month?
    Birth weight (04-08-11) 7# 2oz Discharged from hospital 6# 11oz
    2 weeks 7# 8.4oz 3 weeks 7# 13oz
    4 weeks 8# 3.6oz 5 weeks 8# 12oz
    7 weeks 9# 6oz 10 weeks 10# 11.8oz
    12 weeks 11# .4 oz 13 weeks 10# 10oz
    15 weeks 11# 4.4oz 20 weeks 13# 6oz
    Thank you for your time in looking over these stats, what do you think of his weight gain?

Oops forgot to answer this question, his diaper output looks fine at least 5-6 wet diapers, poopy diapers are 0-3. Somedays he will not poop at all and other days he will poop 3 times.

Thanks for posting all that! Based on this chart: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html your baby seems to be growing consistently, which is great! Was he sick at all, around 12-13 weeks? That could account for the dip in his weight at that point. Also, have you always used the same scale, and what sort of scale is it? A bathroom scale doesn't really cut it for weighing babies- you need something that is precisely calibrated enough to gauge differences in the oz range, and something that doesn't take a beating from having adults stepping on it.

All that being said, here's what I think I would do in your shoes:
    1. Cut out the banana and rice cereal. Compared to breastmilk, those are very low-calorie foods. Think of it this way- if you wanted to gain weight, what would you eat: rice cakes and bananas, or a milkshake?
    2. Nurse as often as possible.
    3. Use breast compressions to speed milk flow to the baby.http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BC
    4. Try switch nursing. As soon as the baby seems to be falling asleep, take him off the breast, burp him, change his diaper, and put him on the other breast. Keep doing it until the baby is un-wake able. This may help your LO learn that he isn't going to get to use the breast as a sleep aid- if he wants to be on the breast, he has to get busy and suck!

I really don't know that I would freak out about this. Yes, you have a smaller baby- but someone has to be small! This isn't like Lake Wobegone, where all the children are above average. Someone has to be in the 99th percentile, and someone has to be in the 1st percentile.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Thanks for posting all that! Based on this chart: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html your baby seems to be growing consistently, which is great! Was he sick at all, around 12-13 weeks? That could account for the dip in his weight at that point. Also, have you always used the same scale, and what sort of scale is it? A bathroom scale doesn't really cut it for weighing babies- you need something that is precisely calibrated enough to gauge differences in the oz range, and something that doesn't take a beating from having adults stepping on it.

All that being said, here's what I think I would do in your shoes:
    1. Cut out the banana and rice cereal. Compared to breastmilk, those are very low-calorie foods. Think of it this way- if you wanted to gain weight, what would you eat: rice cakes and bananas, or a milkshake?
    2. Nurse as often as possible.
    3. Use breast compressions to speed milk flow to the baby.http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BC
    4. Try switch nursing. As soon as the baby seems to be falling asleep, take him off the breast, burp him, change his diaper, and put him on the other breast. Keep doing it until the baby is un-wake able. This may help your LO learn that he isn't going to get to use the breast as a sleep aid- if he wants to be on the breast, he has to get busy and suck!

I really don't know that I would freak out about this. Yes, you have a smaller baby- but someone has to be small! This isn't like Lake Wobegone, where all the children are above average. Someone has to be in the 99th percentile, and someone has to be in the 1st percentile.
    THank you MOMMAL for your prompt response, the scale we use is the one at the Lactation nurse's office, it is a hospital grade. With the exception of the 2 week, 2 month and 4 month ck. up, those were at the pediattrician's office scale. I just feel that for as often as I nurse.....he should be bigger. I nurse very often but the good news is that he's so much more efficient now, he finishes the right side in 6 min. and the left side in 3 min. the rest of the time he spends at the breast, he's sleeping!!! He has never gotten sick since he was born, however when he got his 2 month shots, he didn't eat well for 2 days and he spiked a wicked fever. At the 4 month ck. up I made sure he had tylenol round the clock, helped a lot but it did still affect his appetite.
    Thank you again mommal for your advice