Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby has very low iron and I feel awful

Unhappy baby has very low iron and I feel awful

Hello mamas. My baby was born at 27 weeks 4 days. She is now 9 months old and doing great. She is growing and happy and right on track with her corrected age. We just started giving her a little solids this week.

At her well baby visit they did the finger prick for iron. 7.7!! So low. I feel horrible about it. Now I know preemies don't get their iron in the last trimester. But I feel like I failed her. I was so proud to overcome so many obstacles and have her ebf since she came home from the nicu. Now I feel almost ashamed because despite all my talk of breast milk having all she needs, I was wrong.

She's now on a rx iron supplement and now I get to worry about constipation and wonder how this very low iron is affecting her.

Am I doing the right thing? She just wasn't ready for solids until now. I waited for her to sit up by herself and loose the tongue thrust even though the pedi told me to start 3months ago which was only 3months corrected age.

Anyone have any support or advice? Thanks

Default Re: baby has very low iron and I feel aw

I don't have any experience with preemies so no advice here, but I wanted to give you support - I know it's awful feeling like you've failed your baby. But I've always heard and read that to breast milk is the best thing a preemie can have - could she be even lower on iron if you hadn't been EBF her, considering formula is loaded with iron BUT very little of it is absorbed by the body and your baby's system might not have been mature enough to absorb nutrients from solid food had you started her on it earlier? And as you said she's growing and happy and right on track with her corrected age ON YOUR MILK alone - isn't it a great thing?

Have you checked out this link? http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

I hope other mamas will come with lots of better advice.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

I also don't have experience with preemies. But my full term little guy had low iron at 9 months as well. It is fairly common at that age and that is why they test for it, it's mandatory. You're doing great mama. You have done the best thing for your lo. It's so hard being a mama sometimes esp when we do try so hard and something doesn't turn out quite the way we expected. Hang in there! We've all been there in some way or another.

Mama, please don't beat yourself up over this! This is one of those things where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't- if you had started solids early or given a supplement you'd be worried that you pushed smething your LO wasn't ready for. And it's not like you could have just looked at your baby and seen anemia. So don't feel like you missed this.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"