Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Co-Sleeping

Default Co-Sleeping

I was wondering if anyone had any good statistics/links on co-sleeping. We quickly decided to do it when the little guy was only a few weeks old and have been one big happy family ever since, nobody loses sleep this way! However, I still get horrified responses from friends and family about how unsafe/unnatural this is. I'd like some good info to toss back at them next time they try to convince me that a) we'll smother him and b) he'll be sleeping in our bed forever.

Default Re: Co-Sleeping

Go down to the "Sleep or Lack of it " Board. There was somew interesrting research from Harvard that just got posted there. I have no linking abilities. But I "Benefits for co-sleeping is in the title.....

I found this link... I haven't read the whole thing yet, but looks interesting!!! HTH!

http://www.babyreference.com/Cosleep...SFactSheet.htm

HI,
    We too are co-sleeping with our child who is now 6 1/2 months of age. We started around 3 months as I was told by my sister-in-law how easy it was to side lay and feed and fall back to sleep while they were eating. I put him in his crib until his first wake and then he comes in bed with us for the rest of the night. He comes off the breast himself and then goes back to sleep after every feed. I am very comfortable with it and so is my husband. I have had much better sleeps compared to when I used to get up, sit up in bed and feed while trying to stay awake as my baby was waking every 3 hours (and sometimes still does to this day). ALL of my relatives (who are over 40 years of age) disagree with this method, however, also disagree with breastfeeding past 3 months of age and think that I should let him cry himself to sleep every night since he was 3 months of age (which I do not believe in). Just remember that eventually just as babies wean themselves, so does a child wean himself from sleeping with you. It's just part of life that a child will want to be independant from their parents. What age this will come at, I'm not sure, but if you enjoy it and it's working for your family, why not do it?