Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How soon did you become an exc. Pumper?

Default How soon did you become an exc. Pumper?

Experiencing a rough start due to frenulums issues and feeling overwhelmed with pumping then connecting lactation tube to my breast. Not sure what do next...

Default Re: How soon did you become an exc. Pump

How old is your baby?

Way too lazy for formula

2 weeks and 3 days

I encourage you to keep at it. It's a lot of work to use the SNS system but you are teaching your baby how to eat with the goal to get back to the breast. Which is definitely where you want to go. It's at least TWICE THE WORK to be an exclusive pumper. AT least. So put the work in now to get your baby back to your breast. Because pumping and bottle feeding is twice the work just with the nursing the pump and feeding the baby. BEFORE you get to bottle washing, thawing, pump cleaning, ect. At 2 weeks in everyone is exhausted. Believe that. But that is no reason to quit. It takes most nursing Dyads at least 6-12 weeks to find their groove. You have plenty of time to catch up. But if you start bottle feeding and your baby gets nipple confusion, things get worse not better. But what I am telling you is that even if you were already at the breast exclusively, at this point you'd STILL be feeling exhausted and overwhelmed. Accept that. And work to move through it. It's a rite of passage. It's not to be avoided. It's to be worked through. Rest when you baby sleeps during the day. Let go of the idea of doing anything BUT feeding the baby. That is your number one priority and it should get the majority of your waking attention. There rest should be used to pee, eat and change diapers. NOT dishes or laundry or housecleaning. Have your partner bring home take out. Do the laundry on the weekends when there are extra hands. Feed the baby and REST or sleep when the baby sleeps. Because the baby is NOT going to sleep all night and needs to be cared for/fed around the clock. So you will not catch up if you don't take the rest in the day time when you can get it.
    Stay Focused. Your baby deserves your milk. And you deserve the ease of getting it to your child via your breasts. Trust me. Stick with it Mama. You'll never be sorry you did and I promise there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks so much forctaking the time to write a thoughtful message. I will keep at it

Please do keep on! Djs.mom is so on target. In the short run, EP may seem like the easy way out, but the work load is exponentially greater in the long run. If you do feel like you are at the breaking point and you decide to do bottles, I strongly encourage you to keep on trying to do some feeds at the breast. That way you keep your options open for the day when your LO outgrows his nursing issues.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DON'T QUIT. EPING IS way, way more work in the long run!! And EXPENSIVE. And flat out stressful. What you are going through WILL end. EPing never does until you decide to quit pumping, and it's a disappointing way to end nursing instead of it being a joint decision.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I just wonder if her posterior tongue tie will improve. Know of anyone who had the same case and had it cli

i just wonder when she will latch well without using tube system. know of any mom who has delt with a posterior tongue tie?

Have you started a thread in the nursing sections with those exact words in the title? Sometimes that brings people around who have BTDT. I have, fortunately, not had any babies with tongue tie of any sort, and the moms I've worked with that did have babies with those didn't have terrible cases and were easy to get back to the breast.

Are you working with an IBCLC? Did they show you how to do finger suck training? That may help a LOT reteach baby how to suck properly so you can stop using the SNS.

Also, the SNS makes a difference. I thought the Medela one was super fiddly. The Lact-Aid one is not. You tape it on once a day and then just replace the bags as needed.

You may also find that you need to wean from the SNS, just like a mom who is using a nipple shield.

ETA: I found this by google http://breastfeeding.blog.motherwear...ongue-tie.html Sounds like there IS HOPE to me.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!