Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teaching Time-NO place to pump

Default Teaching Time-NO place to pump

I work in a NYC school and have never heard of anyone pumping at work. There's no plugs in the bathroom for pumping, and since I probably won't have my own classroom, I don't know where I'm going to pump. School starts Sept 6th and I'm wondering what other teachers do.

Default Re: Teaching Time-NO place to pump

I have always had my own classroom with doors I can lock and windows that can be covered. That being said, under NY state law your employer has to provide you with a location to pump as described here. http://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/wp/LS702.pdf I would talk to your principal about finding a good location using the description given in the law as a guide. I probably wouldn't mention the law unless you get push back about needing to pump.

Have you thought about when you are going to pump? When you need to pump might affect what accommodations need to be made for you.

Good luck on your school year. Here in NM we have already been in school for 2 weeks. What do you teach?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

hi! maybe there is an empty classroom, lounge, office? i would be very positive about it. remember what you are doing is a great thing. dont be shy, also remember you could be paving the way for other moms.

like pp said, different spaces may be open at different times of the day. think about your building and be creative. don't pump in a bathroom, no need to. something will work.

women at my work always pumped in a bathroom and i was not comfortable with it. before i went back to work i thought about all the spaces in the building and realized there was a place rarely used. i asked around if it would be ok for me to go in there and it was. i am so happy. today the space was unavailable so i pumped in my car, i always keep a battery pack just in case of an emergency . you can do it mama.

let us know what happens.

I've used a conference room when it wasn't in use.

There are pumps that don't need plugs, like a Freestyle, just so you know.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for all the info. I am seeing other teachers postings and realizing that I can also pump in car. I'm going to look into the hands-free bra & adapter. Freestyle might be another option too (didn't know about that-THanks!). Can't believe it's(almost) back to school and my LO is 8 weeks!

I pumped in our cooks' office, off the kitchen. They didn't need to be in there at the times I pumped. I have my own classroom but it is special ed. and so there were always students in there, so I couldn't use it. There are other places, though. I know someone who used the custodian's office, and people who pumped in their car.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Two things that I thought of:

The newest PISA has a battery adapter that works quite well that opens up possibilities.

If you end up using a room like a conference room, find some back up locations in case it get scheduled unexpectedly.

Good luck!
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Pumping in the car on the way there and back is also a distinct possibility- I'm a student at a university and don't really want to lug around my PISA all day. I use a hand pump in the bathroom there. Another advantage to the hand pump is that it is very quiet and can be used while other people are in the bathroom without anyone noticing.

with PPs though

You're right-my PISA does come with a battery adapter. Didn't realize it. Also trying to build up a stash by freezing BM. Will try suggestions, especially pumping in car.