Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Passing gas while BF

Default Passing gas while BF

My DS seems to be extremly gassy while BF. After the first let-down once the milk slows down, DS pulls away from the breast. He screams and arches his back like he is in pain. Sometimes he passes gas just before or just after he pulls off but once he pulls off he won't relatch. I'm not sure what to do. I usually end of giving him a bottle of EBM to make sure he gets enough to eat. Has anyone else had this problem? I need some advice to help resolve this problem.

Thanks!

Default Re: Passing gas while BF

Sometimes I wonder if babies pass gas because they are crying hard and they just push it out??? When my baby boy arches his back he is usually having a bit of heartburn or acid reflux. I am told reflux is pretty common.

I was told by a Lactation Consultant that some babies stop nursing when the flow of milk slows and they have to work harder to get the milk. My boy used to give up soon after let-down, but we got through it. I think babies learn how to nurse, just as moms learn to nurse their babies.

Good luck and kudos to you for working through it. Gassiness is hard because it is so difficult to figure out where it is coming from.

Melissa

Default Re: Passing gas while BF

I know that those symptoms can be many things, but it sounds EXACTLY like what I experienced with my son! He would do the same screaming arching thing and absolutely REFUSE to eat anymore from my breast. It is HEARTBREAKING. Turns out I have over active let down (OALD) and BOY would my son get upset during and after my let down! And yes, he always seemed to be trying to BF and have a BM or pass gas at the same time! This has (and forgive me for not being technically correct) but this has something to do with too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk, resulting in a gassy fussy baby. The hindmilk has something in it that acts as a laxative, I believe. My son would just howl during a BM. At the next feeding, unlatch him from your breast during let down and watch to see if your milk shoots out like a fire hose, express a little bit by hand (I usually express for about 20-30seconds until the firehose turns into quick drips) and see if he'll take your nipple back. And try this while he's kind of sleepy. Also, check out the "Too much milk" forum, you may read about similar symtoms and can learn about block feeding there. I have been doing block feeding for 2 days and have seen MASSIVE improvements. Block feeding involves giving one breasts in blocks of time, like from 8am to 12pm, only feed from the right breast. From 12pm to 4pm only feed from the left breast, etc. I do it slightly differently... I feed two complete feeding from each breast (if son only has half feeding i.e. falling asleep, diaper change, I go back to that same breast until I feel completely empty on that side) and then I feed two from the other. I do this because my son has eaten in 4 hour increments almost since about 3 weeks. Anyhow, block feeding allows for more hindmilk to be given to the baby AND to regulate your milk production. While using one breast in a time block, your other side may get full, so express a little to relieve the pressure, but don't do too much or try to pump, the idea is to tell that breast to chill out and wait until later My BF relationship with my son has been saved due to block feeding, I was seriously close to giving up! And try not to give a bottle anymore, no matter how tempting. It was hard to see my son cry from gas pain and hunger, but a nice warm bath for both of us and feeding in the dark under warm covers calmed him down enough to take my breast again. Since yesterday the only time he cries is when he unlatches and I take some time to express the "fire hose" into a burp cloth. Eventually, according to most people who use this method, baby will get better control over the OALD and regulate on his own AND your milk will slow slightly to compensate for the change in eating. I've even heard some say that the method of feeding only one breast per feeding is better, but I think that depends on the mommy, baby, and boob
    Please don't give up and if OALD IS the problem, the block method and expressing some milk during and after let down will help tremendously!!
    Jennifer