Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power outages and frozen milk

Default Power outages and frozen milk

With the hurricane threatening the east coast of the US, I am slightly concerned of losing power. Fortunately I only have 6 bottles worth of milk in my freezer, but what should I do if the power is out for a while and it starts to thaw? Should I use it and pump (with batteries) in hopes that the new milk will be able to get refrigerated later that day? Or should I just forget the frozen milk and toss it?

I want to plan ahead with options, because if I am prepared, everything will be fine. :-)
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Default Re: Power outages and frozen milk

Two ideas: (1) Dry ice should keep it frozen. Find out now which grocery stores carry it. (2) If your frozen milk thaws, use it, pump and keep the pumped milk in a cooler with a lot of ice. As long as you replace the ice when it thaws you should be able to keep it until you get power on and fresh milk you can keep (as long as it is cold) for up to 8 days.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

One other thing--if your freezer isn't very full, fill it now. You can even do something as simple as filling containers with water to freeze or buy bags of ice at the store. It will keep your freezer colder longer if the power goes out. And try to avoid opening the freezer. You also might buy a freezer thermometer to keep track of the temperature in there.

I hope all goes well for you. My parents live in Arlington, VA and I have relatives that live in the eastern part of NC so I have been watching the news of Irene pretty closely.
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012

i would leave it in the freezer with the door shut, it should last at least 1-2 days with no one opening the freezer... some coolers will last for 4-5 days
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Leave it in the freezer and pray. If you don't open the freezer, it's generally OK for 2 days.

Or do what we did and go buy a generator

I am pretty far east, so we are totally anticipating getting hit pretty hard. Today, we are picking up the outdoor things and tying everything down.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I also live in MD and came on here this morning with this very question. I have about 12 oz in the refrigerator, but I probably have 50 oz in the freezer, so I'm freaking out just a little bit! We live in an area that loser power for random reasons, so I'm pretty much counting on not having power for a little while. My parents offered me their generator, but I wanted a back-up plan, and you all gave me just the information I needed! Thanks so much!

(I hope everyone in the hurricane areas stays safe! Well, heck, I hope everyone stays safe, no matter where they live!)

I suggested to my mom that after the earthquake and hurricane, plagues of locust and/or frogs and the Potomac turning red were probably next.

I don't think she was amused.

DH NOW tells me the generator has to have a gallon of gas every 4 hours to stay running. And we only have a 5 gallon can, and we aren't allowed to keep more than about 5 gallons in reserve. And if the power goes out, you can't pump gas at the gas stations. Our cars (3) are full. So, now, I'm panicking a bit. I have THOUSANDS of oz of milk!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh no! Good luck, Susan!

This is the first time I am happy I don't have much frozen milk!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Yup, they are predicting a direct hit for us. I'm pretty freaked out - the last time we had a hurricane/tropical storm, I was around 12 years old, so I don't remember it too well. We've got the generator ready to go. I too have a TON of milk in my freezer chest, so have been panicing about that. If I lost all of that, I would be devastated!!!
    Hi, I'm Jen, mommy to Victoria (5/24/09, self-weaned 11/1/10) and Gabrielle (5/20/11, still going strong!). Always and sometimes ...when will I stop? When Gabbi says so!

Nursing Gabbi for fourteen months and counting!

The ladies here have gotten me through some rough times!