Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement

Default Engorgement

I've been pumping exclusively for about 6 weeks. My breasts feels lumpy and tender repeatedly. Pumping more often used to help, but not anymore. Any suggestion to prevent lumpy/tender breasts to reoccur and how can I treat this without breastfeeding ?

Default Re: Engorgement

I just researched this and found that it's usually caused by you making more milk than is needed. Makes sense in my case, b/c I have an oversupply, and need to provide one "extra" bottle a day for the daycare, so I'm now experiencing a plugged duct, which hasn't happened in a long time. You might want to check out this link http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

How much are you pumping, in a given day? I mean, how many oz?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

4 oz 6x every 24 hrs.

Does that mean you are pumping every 4 hours and not pumping or nursing in between? That sounds like a long time to go without letting off the pressure. Different women have different storage capacity, and if you are one with slightly less capacity, it may simply be that your breasts are having to get overly full (for them) to produce the amount of milk your baby needs. Have you tried pumping a little less milk, but more frequently?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Yes I pump every 4 hours. I am trying to maintain milk supply so I pump 15 minutes each session. I am always away and pumping more frequent is very difficult.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You may need some more time to even out your supply at that amount of pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!