Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I didn't pump enough!

Unhappy I didn't pump enough!

Ok, I am trying not to panic. I know its only the first day. My baby is 4 months old and I just started back to school today. I dropped him at 9am and returned around 6pm. I managed to pump 3 times and got about 12oz. My mom, who is watching him, said he took close to 20oz!! What am I going to do?? I can't up my production by that much, I think. I pumped 2.5 more ounces after I got home, but that was pushing it (took about 25 minutes and lots of compression and massage).

I double pump with a Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I will eat oatmeal in the morning, but does anyone have any tips I can give my mom to help him eat less? We're using Born Free bottles. He also didn't nap much AT ALL. I had him up to about 5 hours of napping between 9am and 6pm, but today he didn't even do 2 hours.

Do they both just need time to adjust to the new routine? And me too, I guess, since I had been Exclusively BFing... maybe my body doesn't like the pump so much.

Default Re: I didn't pump enough!

It sounds like your mom is overfeeding. Baby should be eating 1-1.5 oz per hour. So assuming that baby eats every 3 hours, 3-4.5 oz in a sitting. Then for the last feeding, you should try to nurse when you pick him up (so she should aim for feeding him his last bottle 2-3 hours before you arrive so that he's hungry to nurse).

What I found helpful was to make my mom an outline of our routine. I asked her to only feed him after he woke up from a nap (which is when we nursed). If he's acting fussy at other times and recently had a bottle, to try something else first (diaper change, does he need a nap, does he just want to suck for comfort). I also found some printouts on the internet about "how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby." this makes baby take longer to eat, simulating how he might breastfeed and preventing him from getting overly full.

Unfortunately, we are now having the opposite problem, where DS doesn't want to take a bottle for a 5 hour stretch with her, and has "reverse cycled" to doing quite a bit of nursing at night. So long, sleep!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I work 8-5 and pump 12-15 oz.

check out www.kellymom.com for a LOT of helpful tips on how much baby needs and how to bottle feed a BF baby
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

mama! Going back to work is tough, and I know the stress of making sure you have enough for the next day! I work 8-5 and typically get 12-15oz. I leave Gavyn 2 8oz bottles, so I have to pump extra right before bed or on the weekend to help make up the difference.

I agree with the pps, that a schedule might help. Also one thing I do is fix the bottles ahead of time, so he only has a set amount of milk available. That way she really can't give him too much. Is there any way you can nurse at lunch? That really helps me get through the day, and that's one less bottle I have to leave. And timing that last feeding so he's hungry when you get him is a big help. I love the reconnect at the end of the day!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

20 oz is a lot! I work full time and pump around 12 ounces during the day and that is what I send with my daughter to daycare-- 3 4 oz. bottles. Also, it's your first day, don't panic, you will find your rhythm within a week or two. I agree with fixing the bottles ahead of time.

I work 8-5, pump 3x a day, and in the morning I get about 7-8 oz, then 4-5oz at each subsequent session so I get 20-28oz and even more on Monday morning's after I've EBF all weekend. I have oversupply for sure, as I am still getting plugged ducts, and my LO generally gets three 4oz bottles at daycare, and usually only eats 1.5-2 ounces at first, then finishes off the rest 1/2 hr - 1 hr later. She ate 4 bottles 2 times so far, but am sure it was either a growth spurt or the Daycare using feeding as a primary source of comforting vs. rocking, holding, changing, etc.

From everything I've read, heard and seen first hand, I think the idea that babies need 1-1.5 ounces per hour they are apart from you makes sense, and it seems to follow that I made about that much per hour between pumpings.

IE: LO goes to sleep around 9PM, then feeds at around 4-5AM, then another small feed at 6-6:30. At 8AM, I get my largest volume pump. Then, I get less at the 2nd two sessions (about 3 hours apart, and I get about 4oz each time) I have maybe one time not had enough to cover the 12 ounces she drinks at daycare.

Sounds to me like you're doing fine... try not to worry. I was a mess for the first few months, but after many weight checks, and reassurance, it gets easier. I had to realize my LO would NOT allow her self to starve to death and she couldn't starve because of one or two bad feeds.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Baby was totally overfed! That happened to me too. I left my second child to go to work for 4 hours, left 12 oz, and came back to find it ALL gone!

They need time, but your mom needs to work out some alternative methods of soothing baby. Also, it wouldn't hurt to re-evaluate your bottles. Make sure they are slow-flow, new nipples that don't just drip milk out. I found switching to the Breastflow bottles really helped, but in the end, I ended up having to find a different caregiver. The one I had just seemed to shove a bottle in the baby's face any time he let out a peep, instead of cuddling, trying a pacifer, walking him around, that sort of thing.

And honestly, your milk production is just fine. Most moms make about 1 oz per hour.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks everyone!

Well today went much better! My mom is very good with my son, and soothes him quite well, she was even surprised about yesterday. Her theory is that I had given her some older milk (from back in May) to use up and she thinks maybe it was thinner or just didn't satisfy him. The milk she used today, which I pumped yesterday, seemed to leave him much more content. I left him at around 7:45 and got home around three and he had taken about 11oz. He also had two nice long naps, so all in all a better day. I also pump 14oz instead of 12 ^__^

I am going to go tomorrow to get breast flow bottles, and my mom said she is going to work on a schedule (including a long walk) to help space the feedings out a bit. Thanks again for the support through my freak out, hopefully we will get the hang of it soon.

You are well on your way! I had to switch bottles too in the beginning and discuss a lot with my caregiver.