Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive Oil in baby food?

Question Olive Oil in baby food?

I have been reading a few threads about people putting olive oil in solids to keep the LO's regular and also adding some good fat.

How much Olive Oil do you add and to what do you add it to? To cereal and veggies?

Thx!
    Last edited by jadon's mom; January 27th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Proud mother of our beautiful little angel in heaven (19 weeks on 1/19/2007)

Proud mother of Jadon Eli born 6/26/07 (a TTTS survivor) My joy and miracle baby

[

Default Re: Olive Oil in baby food?

My friend had a older baby that had stopped gaining weight well. They added olive oil to a lot of her foods to help fatten her up. They drizzled it over veggies, stirred it into yogurt, stuff like that. I don't think it was very much at a time, maybe 1T into a cup of yogurt, similar amount onto a child-size serving of veggies. Her baby was 13mos by the time they started doing this, so eating a lot of finger foods, only spoon feeding stuff like yogurt, oatmeal, applesauce, etc.

I use extra virgin coconut oil instead of olive oil especially when I am cooking stuff with it because olive oil turns harmful when it is heated above a certain temperature. If you are going to drizzle on top of veggies though it is very good.

Olive oil turns harmful when heated above a certain temp? Really? Do you have any links for this?

I only ask because I have never heard this and am very curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmom View Post
    Olive oil turns harmful when heated above a certain temp? Really? Do you have any links for this?

I only ask because I have never heard this and am very curious. Thanks!
    I know this is an old thread but I'd like some inf o too
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You woud have to heat the oil well beyond the frying zone and to the point where it puts off thick black smoke to make it harmful (just like all burned food, particularly meat.) It would be unpalatable and whatever you cooked in it would also be inedibly burned.

Olive oil in infancy

Fat intake is important to both the new-born baby and the weaned infant; even more important is the appropriate intake of essential fatty acids. Breast-fed babies receive 4 - 5% of their calories in the form of polyunsaturated acids, while babies fed on cow's milk receive substantially less. Low linoleic acid intake can delay growth and produce skin, hepatic and metabolic disorders. Seed oils, which are rich in polyunsaturates, are not recommended in large quantities for children because it is not advisable to lower their cholesterol level and because these oils promote peroxidative phenomena, especially in youngsters with low vitamin E reserves. Hence, it is important to strike a balance between the dietary supply of linoleic and linolenic acids because too much of the former can cause disorders of the nervous system. In his comparison of the effects of olive oil, sunflower oil and saturated fats on growing rats, Galli detected modifications in the structural lipids of the brain and liver among the groups treated with saturated fats and sunflower oil. There were none, however, in the group treated with olive oil. Olive oil provides a relatively low amount of essential fatty acids but has a balanced linoleic:linolenic ratio similar to that found in breast milk.

As regards the influence of olive oil on bone mineralization and development, a study by Laval-Jeantet demonstrates the need for fats. The most positive effects are obtained with the intake of oleic glycerides to which a minimum amount of polyunsaturates is added, and so the best diets for this purpose are those containing olive oil.
    and this on high-temperature cooking:

Olive oil and frying

To make food more appetizing, man uses cooking methods like boiling, baking, smoking and frying, with the highest temperatures being reached during frying.

The temperature inside fried food remains almost constant at 100 degrees C until its water content evaporates. At that point the hot oil can penetrate. The food cooks quickly and the loss of nutritional value is lesser than with other cooking methods, according to studies by Varela. A crust forms on the outside as a result of the reaction with the hot oil, which coagulates proteins and caramelizes the glycides. Less fat is consumed than with other cooking methods, as the oil is not absorbed by the food.

Fats are subjected to auto-oxidative phenomena that are accelerated as temperatures rise. These phenomena are heightened by the degree of un-saturation of the fat and the presence of pro-oxidant substances, while they are checked by antioxidants. Some of the products of deterioration formed are volatile and easily eliminated; others (polymers) are poorly absorbed and some of those that remain can be toxic and can affect different organs and detract from the nutritive value of the food.

Animal fats, which have a low degree of un-saturation, do not contain antioxidants and soon undergo auto-oxidation. Seed oils are highly unsaturated and oxidize rapidly. On the contrary, olive oil is very stable because of its intermediate degree of un-saturation and the anti-oxidants if contains. Besides being affected by the type of fat, deterioration is related to the temperature reached, heating time, type of food involved, and the presence of catalysts.

Fedeli has demonstrated the stability of olive oil at high frying temperatures, and Varela has proven that food digestibility is not modified by frying in olive oil, not even when the same oil was used 10 times over to fry meat and sardines. This research would appear to indicate that olive oil is the oil best suited to frying owing to its higher resistance to oxidative deterioration.

To sum up this entire chapter, we can conclude that owing to its fatty acid structure, Its content in vitamin E and other anti-oxidants, its balanced contents of other components, and its aroma and flavor, olive oil is the oil that is best suited to human consumption -whether raw or cooked - and has a protective effect on human health.
    From http://www.oliveoil.com/health.html

and also this:

There was a deluge of mail from persons concerned about developing cancer from frying with olive oil. It is unknown where this latest food myth comes from but this sort of misinformation seems to spread like a computer virus. Perhaps it was the finding of contaminants in Spanish refined olive oil in early 2001 which prompted the concerns.

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are a group of chemicals which are formed when petroleum, petroleum products, coal, wood, cellulose, corn, or oil are burned. There are over 100 PAHs which have been studied. During oxidation and detoxification in the liver they are thought to form substances which damage DNA, starting a chain of events which could lead to cancer. A few of them have been classified by the EPA and The Department of Health and Human Services as carcinogenic to animals in studies and probably carcinogenic to humans.

A person's exposure at home to PAHs would likely be through tobacco smoke, wood smoke, vehicle exhausts, asphalt roads, coal, coal tar, wildfires, agricultural burning, waste incineration, creosote-treated wood products, cereals, grains, flour, bread, vegetables, fruits, meat, processed or pickled foods.

At work you could be exposed to PAHs in coal tar production plants, coking plants, bitumen and asphalt production plants, coal-gasification sites, smoke houses, aluminum production plants, coal tarring facilities, municipal trash incinerators and by inhaling engine exhaust. PAHs can also be found in the mining, oil refining, metalworking, chemical production, transportation, and the electrical industry.

Twenty years ago there was a food scare when PAHs were first being researched. They were found in meat and other foods which had been cooked at high temperatures, such as grilling and charring. The American Institute for Cancer Research recommends to avoid charring meat when grilling, pre-marinade, which somehow minimizes PAH formation, and minimize the amount of grilled meats consumed. (Grilled vegetables or fruit do not form PAHs).

Many foods naturally contain small quantities of PAHs. Olive oil, like other vegetable cooking oils, has been found to contain minute amounts of up to 17 PAHs such as benzanthracene and chrysene. Unripe olives tended to have more than ripe olives.

Burning any cooking oil can increase the amounts of PAHs. Oil of any kind which has been repeatedly heated to its smoking point will lose it's natural antioxidants and begin to accumulate free radicals and other cancer causing substances. Whether this has actually caused cancer in humans has never been proven. Commercial industrial kitchens which fry foods would be where this sort of thing might happen. It is unlikely that you would repeatedly fry at continuous high temperatures with the same oil at home. In commercial operations the oil is examined regularly with a rancidity test and discarded before it gets to a dangerous stage. Olive oil is typically not used in commercial kitchens as it is much too expensive. Cheaper oils like canola, corn or peanut oil are used instead. Extra virgin olive oil has fewer free fatty acids and more antioxidants which soak up free radicals. So heating it would produce fewer free radicals than a lower grade olive oil. It is unlikely that in home use olive oil or other cooking oils would be a significant source of PAHs.

Sometimes when people hear cancer, they panic and forget that we are surrounded by possible carcinogens, ranging from nearly every food we eat to sunlight. Although a substance we are exposed to is capable of causing cancer, the probability that this actually happens may be vanishingly small. Exposure to second hand cigarette smoke or going outside without sun block is probably thousands of times more likely to cause cancer than burning your cooking oil.
    from http://www.oliveoilsource.com/oliveo...cer%20concerns

HTH!
    Last edited by Google316; March 1st, 2008 at 06:55 AM.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

My son was not gaining weight, so as he began eating a wider variety of solids, I tried new things and added olive oil or olive oil spread to get a little more fat into him. One thing he loves is pasta with a little olive oil (enough to toss it with) and parmesan cheese, with peas (and I usually put in some chicken, but not always). He eats toast with olive oil spread, and I roast green beans by brushing them with olive oil first. Asparagus is also good this way.

I'm not sure I've been any help. I don't add a lot of olive oil, just enough to add some flavor (basically so that it tastes good to me lol).

I also wanted to say that we have no allergy issues. If you do, some of this may not work for you.

Don't forget about fresh butter!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

At what age do you start adding olive oil?

I have a 3 month old and have been putting just a few drops of olive oil in his formula and now formula and cereal. I started this when he was about 2 1/2 months old. He has to drink soy for his reflux and that makes him constipated. I do notice that he stains more if I don't add the olive oil. I too have been concerned with the oil in his food. BUT... his dr. is happy with him. Happy baby, happy mommy! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!