Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clipping labial frenulum

Default Clipping labial frenulum

My daughter's under the tongue frenulum was clipped when she was 4 days. An LC also recommended that she have her upper one clipped for a better latch. Know of anyone who experienced better breastfeeding after both were clipped? Daughter is 2 Wks. I've been pumping after each feeding and have been using a lactation aid with a tube at my breast to feed her. Exhausted

Default Re: Clipping labial frenulum

Both my LO's have extended labial frenulums that attach between their two front teeth. I have not experienced any difficulty with nursing as a result. My understanding is that it matters more how tight the frenulum is rather than where it attaches. When your daughter latches on, does her upper lip flare out or does the lip tie prevent this?

BTW, my mom and I also had extended frenulums as children. Both of ours were clipped when we had braces prior to closing the gap between the front teeth. DS's pediatric dentist said we would deal with it closer to when he gets his first permanent teeth and not to worry about it until then.

My daughter's issue was the tongue frenulum, and it was VERY tight...also nearly at the tip of her tongue. Once this was clipped, it made a tremendous difference in nursing for us. She latched correctly, and all the pain I was experiencing immediately stopped. This is hereditary (my husband has it), so we had our second daughter checked for it. She does not have it; however, after reading these posts, I am wondering if she doesn't have the labial frenulum as her top lip does not flare out very much while nursing and I am having difficulty keeping her latched on and she has shallow latches! Thanks for asking these questions! You may have just helped me!

I have an app on Monday with an ENT so I will see what she says. I'm an IBCLC but don't have too much experience with frenulums. However I did know something was wrong and after speaking to 2 experienced LCs both said that most times tight tongue frenulums come accompanied by tight labial ones. For now I am pumping and feeding breastmilk through a lactation aid at the breast. Would love to just breastfeed!

We have been dealing with the same problem. DD is 9 weeks old and has a very tight upper lip. The LC said it was rare, but that it could be the cause of our breastfeeding problems. We have an appointment Monday with the ENT and am hoping to get it clipped. Hers is so tight she can not push her upper lip out at all and it tucks under when nursing or bottle feeding. We have also been doing CranioSacral Therapy, which has helped.

Let me know how things work out for you. I too am seeing an OT on Friday.
    Last edited by @llli*bxmom; August 30th, 2011 at 05:38 AM.

We just got home from our appointment. ENT said it was WAY to thick & tight to do in the office. He said it would NOT cause BFing issues and I argued with him, telling him we have tried everything and no one knows why she is having problems with BFing. He also said he had not clipped anyone as young as my DD, but said he would do it since she is having feeding issues. It would be done just like getting ear tubes (my triplets have tubes), no IV or anything, just general with a mask. I'm debating. Kind of nervous about it. I really expected her to get it done today and our issues would be over shortly. Her surgery date is set for Oct 6, but I am still debating if I will have it done or not. Can't wait to hear how your appointment goes on Friday!.

Daughter had both the top and bottom clipped. Bottom was done again since it was reattaching. Top feels better when she latches but latch is shallow bc of tongue. Hope Friday makes a difference. I feel so drained.

My son had both clipped at 6 weeks. It was an amazing difference. The tongue was not our major issue. The labial was. He could not get a good latch and took in lots of air because of it. My OALD didn't help but he stopped "squeaking" at the dentist's office as soon as he was clipped. His labial went between what would have been his front teeth if he had teeth at that time.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Daughter is nursing well! I think the change came about when we visited OT last Friday. 2 days later I stopped using the tube and had her nurse. She's doing great and I'm so happy!! We are going to do one more session of the cranial sacral therapy on Friday.