Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Few Assorted Questions...

Default Few Assorted Questions...

I feel kind of dumb for asking about something this trivial, but, I am just curious why it seems I have a feeling of fullness in my breasts often after my daughter feeds, and if anyone else experiences this. It is not an engorged feeling at all, and it seems that I notice it more around 9:00-12:00. I thought breasts were supposed to get to where they didn't feel full (my DH is 17weeks Wed). I am large chested (I think ) I was a C/D cup before BFing (don't know now). Does anyone else have this or maybe I am just hyper aware since I have been anxious about my supply. Also, she only feeds for 3-5 min on my right side and up to 8-10 minutes on my left side. I can’t figure out why she prefers that side, we always feed laying down, but I just can’t get her to latch as well or eat for as long on my right side. I would rather not be lopsided, will 3-5 minutes be enough to keep that from happening? I can't pump very well (my body won't cooperate), so that isn’t really an option.

Default Re: Few Assorted Questions...

I'm not sure there is anything you can do if baby prefers one side to the other. The feeling of fullness is normal IMO. As long as it doesn't feel engorged I don't see it as a problem.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Like you've heard before, it's normal to be lopsided. If it really bothers you, you just have to try harder to get her to to stay longer on the right side - change positions so she is more comfortable - i know you always feed laying down, but if you really want to solve the 'problem' than you may have to switch it up - feed her walkingaround in a sling or in a chair or whatever - she may not be comfortable laying down on that side.
    As for the breast fullness - I don't think there's anything to worry about - sometimes your LO will empty you more completely and sometimes you'll feel full til your next feeding - as long as you're not getting engorged you're not risking plugged ducts or anything, so i would just roll with it. I also suggested before that getting your body to respond to the pump takes a lot of time for some Mamas. So that would be another way of dealing with the lopsidedness - just keep trying. My good friend pumped about five times a day for two weeks straight before she even got an ounce in one pumping, but as her body got more comfortable with the pump she was pumping enough to leave for her son when she worked full time. I'm sure you'll think "oh, but I can't make it work" -- try to let go of that negative energy and keep trying (or not trying if you don't want to pump - but don't think that it's impossible for you - it very likely IS possible).
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Very cool. Thanks so much for your responses. I will wait and see if I think I am getting lopsided before I pump. She will feed (if she is not cranky) on right side, but it is like she has changed her latch recently in the past week and it feels like she is only on the tip, and she does not drink the same on that side anymore, like it is "slower". She will feed for a good while sometimes on that side, but just doesn't seem to be getting much. I guess for some reason, I thought when they "got" their latch it wouldn't change once they figured out the most efficient way to get milk out, plus I don't know if just goes back and forth, with a good latch this week, then maybe a not so good latch next week. It has just thrown me for a loop (again), I am so sick of worrying about everything breastfeeding, but for every new thing I encounter, I want to understand it. I really thought that breastfeeding would not be this stressful 4 months into it-it is more stressful now than when she was a newborn. Anyway thanks again for taking the time.

I got stressed a lot too, Mama. But looking back on it now --- there was really not much at all to be worried about. Hind sight is 20/20, of course. But as a person with anxiety/stress issues, I just want to continue to urge you to really consciously make an effort to not need to get every little thing. There's too much going on, too many variations in how are little ones are feeling/how we're feeling - down to the littlest things to get it all. I really think a good way for me to do this was focus on wet/poopy diapers. If all was okay there, i really tried to trust myself and my baby to be getting it.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Yeah, it's tough to relax. I am trying, and am successful until I get thrown for a loop, i.e. baby starts not drinking from one breast "right". That article that I read by Dr. Newman a month ago about poor weight gain after good weight gain also threw me for a loop, (I had emailed him a question and one of the articles he sent was that one), so I have just been so worried about a weight issue. I feel like if I can make past 4 months with good weight gain, maybe I will be able to relax a little (he says in the article that often you can have a baby that starts to show poor weight gain between 2-4 months from a poor latch). However, she is doing well. Aug. 22 she was 12lbs 10oz and today she was 13lbs 7.5oz, we go back next week for 4 month shots so she will get weighed again. She has the bare minimum for wet diapers usually though. They say 4-6 soaking wet diapers and she might have four heavy ones on most days. So anyway, thanks again for your patience and comments. You know I feel kind of bad because I want to contribute more, but I freak myself out when I read other peoples posts, so I may do more when this stress passes, this is a great forum and I am so grateful that people (like you) here are so helpful.

Amanda

Amanda,

I just wanted to say that you're not alone in stressing out. I feel the same way. My LO is 5 months and even though she's had great weight gain and we have no objective reason to worry, I drive myself sick with every little thing that changes and doesn't go according to my ideals (needless to say, I'm a bit of a control-freak, OCD person, and I like everything to be just so). I am not sure I have any concrete advice to you other than say: I'm glad I'm not alone too! All the books I read about BF used to say it was so easy after the initial period, that it would be the "reward period," but instead I feel simply that the challenges are different. It can be different things for different people. Recently, for me, it's been a very bad plugged duct... (gone now, thankfully). Every bit as stressful and painful as the sore nipples from when she was born.

Good luck to you, and many s

KM

Just remember, it's a marathon and not a sprint. Your nursing relationship will change over time with ups and downs and even levels. Babies grow and develop so much in the first 1-2 years that there will be time to scratch your head and then adjust over and over. Just go with the flow mama and ask questions is something comes up.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!