Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 months olds and rice?

Default 4 months olds and rice?

My son has been vomiting for 3 days i call dr and dr says to feed him rice. We havn't started him on anything but my breastmilk. Confused on how to approach this

Default Re: 4 months olds and rice?

Is he sick? have you seen the doctor? Is he keeping anything down?

not too sure. He had his shots on the 22nd and since that night he has been fussy, running, fever and throwing up everythingh. Won't drink pedialite either because he doesn't like bottles. I took him to dr today again dr said yes his soft spot is sunken in but he has only lost 2 oz of weight in 3 days. He said he wants me to give him rice and that should help. but now he just has thicker throw up.

sorry about the type'os typing one handed with upset baby

Did the doctor say what he thought was causing it or if it was the shot? I gave the pedialite in a large medicine dropper a little at a time. I can't remember exactly, but they gave me instructions for gradually increasing the amount (if it was tolerated) over a period of time. After a while of no incidents we started to try to nurse again.

How is his diaper output?

I have always heard that you should nurse rather than give Pedialyte, because breastmilk counts as a clear liquid and because it has a lot more nutritional value than Pedialyte, and because nursing usually comforts a sick baby. I have NEVER heard that a vomiting baby should be given rice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nopers the doctor didn't say what could be causing it. He did however say if it was the shots then this would have happened when he was 2 months old because the four month shots are the exact same as the 2 month shots. Baby is even pushing off my breast. His doctor said it sounds like my baby has a drum in his belly. He said if he isn't better tomorrow then to call again. He just doesn't seem concerned because of the little amount of weight he's lost. I may try the Pedialyte with a medicine dropper and see if he will take it that way. not too sure. He did try to eat the rice i made for him with a spoon but most of it was pushed out of his mouth with his tounge. He is having about 4-7 wet diapers but no dirty diapers in three days.

I think the pedialyte worked because we were able to control the amount that she was getting until her stomach settled enough for larger amounts. I'm sure it would work the same way with breastmilk. I haven't heard that either. I wouldn't even bother with the rice, especially if it's not helping. Great time to start solids, as well.. Hopefully he is better by tomorrow.

Thank you gals!