Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: red spot on nipple?

Default red spot on nipple?

recently i noticed this strange spot right under my left nipple (on the areola). the skin there looks red and shiny and sort of flaky. im worried it might be some sort of infection?? it doesn't hurt or itch or anything but it looks really weird and i think it might be growing bigger. my daughter is 9.5 months old and we have been nursing problem-free so far apart from her tongue tie.
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

Default Re: red spot on nipple?

red spot on nipple... leave it alone. it sounds completely normal and the less you fuss with it the less chance you'll hurt yourself trying to figure out what it is.
    Infections are usually associated with pain, irritation, throbbing etc... red shiny and flaky doesn't seem like there is a cause for alarm.
    Sorry if I sound like your mother.......
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

ok, i've been traveling the past few weeks but now i have an update. apparently what is happening is NOT normal - the red spot has grown even larger, now it covers half of the areola, and two cracks have appeared at the base of my nipple. nursing is now VERY painful. i have a high tolerance for pain - i nursed through my daughter's tongue tie - but im starting to feel hopeless, like there's never an end to it! the redness has also started on the other breast, alothough no cracks are there yet. i don't know what i'll do if both sides become so painful

i saw a LC who said it may be some sort of exzema, and possibly a fungal infection. she told me to take omega-3 supplements and apply coconut oil which apparently has anti-fungal properties. i should also see a dermatologist to take a culture but she is on vacation for another week. any other advice?

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

It sounds like thrush, mama! Check out this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html. If you determine that this is thrush, remember that both mama and baby must be treated, even if baby is asymptomatic. It's very common for only one member of the nursing pair to display symptoms, though both are likely infected.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you, i just read about thrush and it sounds so discouraging - like it's a hard thing to erradicate completely. i will try to buy otc miconazole, because i can't wait another week for it to get worse. im wondering if treatment will be successful if i don't do 100% of the recommended diets and supplements? i'll try my best but it sounds like so much stuff to do

Thrush is completely treatable though, so you shouldn't give up! You just need to treat baby and yourself, and clean everything if you're pumping. From what I've heard diflucan works the best, but you can only get that through your doctor.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

It does sound like thrush, and it's totally treatable! It's true that some women, especially those who have been on antibiotics or have other immune issues, find it to be difficult to get rid of, but I've had not one, but several infections, and I've always managed to get rid of it without too much trouble. (Why have I had it several times? Well, that's another issue, but I think I'm just prone to yeast infections.) Really, for most women, it's no big deal. But start treating immediately. I never did 100% of the recommended things. For me, I cleared it up with OTC ointment and some probiotics for me and baby. I agree that Diflucan works really well for a lot of women, so you might want to call your doc about that. Because of the cracks and pain you're in, you might want to double or triple up on treatments, just to increase your likelihood of getting rid of it FAST.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thanks for the support. i went and got miconasole since it's otc and i can't wait another week for my doctor to be back from vacation. i also got probiotics for myself but im not sure if i can safely give these to my baby. my question is, how do i treat the baby?? she doesn't have any symptoms.. she did have the white yeasty stuff in her mouth several months ago and our ped prescribed Dactrin (sp?) and it went away, nothing since then.