Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to Pumping (@ Work)

Default New to Pumping (@ Work)

I finally have started pumping/working -- before I was able to just nurse LO, either because he was with me....but also because his sitter is right up the hill. yay!
    However, I don't know really how much he needs and my supply does not seem to be matching what he is taking.

I've been averaging about 1.5 oz for one side with compressions. I've always fed LO on just one side. He's always eaten every 2 hours. The only time I get more is the occasional time he's slept thru the night so I pump in the morning...but that is really thin.

The last 2 days I have fed him right before dropping him off @ 12:30 and then he downs the entirety of what I provide...about 4-5 oz. Some was just pumped within 24 hours and some was freezer stash. The freezer stash is the thinner milk.

But yes, even when I pump when he would be eating, I only get 1.5 oz. This is a big difference!! Is it because the freezer milk is thinner? Is he just taking it all because he can, but doesn't need it? Do I need to do something else to get better output? I do compressions the whole time, sometimes can get a second or third letdown, but it doesn't last very long.

If I can't pump enough, it's not the end of the world, because like I said, he's right up the hill. But I'd like to be able to let him have consistency @ the sitter's.

He will be 5 months old on September 1.

Sorry this is rambly! Thanks for your help!
    Mother to Seth, born 4/1/11: 5 lb. 13 oz.
    5/2/11 - 8 lb 12 oz. 6/1/11 - 11 lb 12 oz.
    7/1/11 - 14 lb *unofficial* 8/1/11 - 16 lb 3 oz
    10/3/11 - 18 lb

Good job, growing boy!

Weaned from a nipple shield in late July!!!

Default Re: New to Pumping (@ Work)

Hi there

great job with the pumping i do believe you may have an issue with your care provider over feeding. this link has more info http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html on how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. you may also want to pump both sides each time you pump even if you were only feeding from one side at a time, your body will make more.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

another good link from kellymom regarding how much milk LO "needs"
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/en...lk.html#enough

about 1 - 1.5oz for every hour you are seperated from LO
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Thanks for replying, girls.

I knew the 1 - 1.5 oz guideline, but I wasn't sure how strict that was/how much it varied per baby.

I made my caregiver aware of a couple links too & we are working together on balancing that out. I am trying to pump once per morning and before bed in addition to when he is with her...which won't be for a week because she is on vacation! The last couple days I have been getting a little more in the evening, so I feel better. I will also feel better to get a stash started finally!

Is it ok to just send 3 - 3.5 oz for the 2 hrs he isn't fed by me (assuming I feed him right before handing him over, he would just need to eat one 2-hr time span while I'm gone) and that would be enough? (I'm always worried about not letting him get enough....maybe because he was tiny @ birth, though he is anything but tiny now!!)

Thanks for helping ease my worries!
    Mother to Seth, born 4/1/11: 5 lb. 13 oz.
    5/2/11 - 8 lb 12 oz. 6/1/11 - 11 lb 12 oz.
    7/1/11 - 14 lb *unofficial* 8/1/11 - 16 lb 3 oz
    10/3/11 - 18 lb

Good job, growing boy!

Weaned from a nipple shield in late July!!!