Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long to pump & adding warm to cold?

Default How long to pump & adding warm to cold?

Hi,

I am back to work and have some pumping questions.

1. I have read that a full pumping session is 10-15 minutes. I have 2-3 letdowns and produce 2-3 ounces in about 5-7 minutes. My breasts are soft after this time. Do I need to keep pumping the full 10-15 minutes?

2. After my first pumping session, I usually have the bottles in the fridge or in a cooler with an ice pack. For my second pumping session, can I pump directly into the same bottles (adding warm milk to cold milk) or do I need to pump into new bottles? Or should I not chill my first pumping session?

3. I have a cold right now, and my pediatrician said it's actually good to still breastfeed/pump while I'm sick so that the baby can get the antibodies (I think that's what she said!) It is also OK if I freeze some of the milk to use for later?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: How long to pump & adding warm to co

1) In short, you should pump until milk isn't coming out any more. Or, if you're trying to boost your supply, pump a little while longer after the milk stops flowing. I'm just not a clock-watcher, I think you should do things until they're done. But, in general, pumping for 15 minutes should do it for most people. If you're having trouble letting down for the pump, read the section on Better Pumping just a bit further down this page. There is no harm in pumping for a few minutes after the milk stops flowing, and it's a great way to send your body the message that more milk is needed (if it is).

http://www.workandpump.com/pumping.htm

2) You can pump directly into refrigerated milk as long as you add the milk within 24 hours of when the original milk was expressed. If milk has been stored at room temperature, you can pump directly into it as long as you do it within eight-ten hours. You then need to use the milk as soon as possible.

If you plan to use the milk within 8 days, don't freeze it. If you do plan to freeze it, do so within 24-48 hours of expressing it. The sooner you freeze it, the better.

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/h..._storing.shtml

3) It is very, very rare for a mom to need to stop breastfeeding for any illness -> http://kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

1. Averages are just that--averages. I don't think I ever pump 10 minutes but there are some women who have to pump much longer. If you are pumping until no more comes out and you are pumping enough for your baby, that should be fine.
    2. Adding warm to cold is fine. With frozen milk you never want to add more fresh than the amount that is already frozen but if it is just cold it shouldn't be a problem.
    3. Since you are producing antibodies to the very disease you might be exposing your LO to breastfeeding during sickness is great. Since it has the antibodies, saving it for later isn't a problem. The only disease I know for certain you do not want to save milk from is thrush.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Super helpful, thanks!

One more question - I have one day at work next week where I am leading a training, and may only be able to pump once at work, instead of my normal 3 times. Will just one day of this cause my milk supply to decrease?

One day should not make a difference, but, if you can, you might try fitting in another pumping.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting