Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gagging

Default gagging

my little man is going to be 6 months this weekend. he is showing all of the signs for solid readiness (including reaching for what i am eating and trying to put it into his mouth) although when i do put food in his mouth he gags... i tried some banana, avocado and sweet potato (all about a week apart) and he had the same response for all three, he actually threw up after the sweet potato, i felt so bad! i am completely okay with ebf him for longer if he is not ready, i was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

i am thinking about trying oatmeal with bm, maybe that will be familiar to him and he will like it.

i do feel bad that he has had three bad experiences so far. any recommendations? thanks!
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Default Re: gagging

At 6 months, he doesn't need solids. They're just for fun. So, instead of using the spoon to deposit food deep in his mouth where it might make him gag or puke, how about just putting a dab of it on the front of his tongue, and treating it as a fun game instead of as an opportunity to get nutrition into him? Unless you're already doing that, in which case I think I would just put the solids away for a while longer, or maybe offer him things like whole peeled apples that allow him to hold and taste a solid without getting anything into his mouth.

Don't worry, he will get the hang of all of this! Some kids just have a super-sensitive gag reflex. But they learn to manage it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi there SK

I found your post searching the forum because I have the exact same problem with my DS, who's 6 months old and exclusively breastfed, too. I introduced solids last week (fruit and vegetable purees). He gags a lot, especially with carrot puree, which he basically puked and generally he doesn't show much interest in solid food. I'm taking it slow and try not to pressure him into it but I was hoping he'd like it because I return to work in a month and he hates bottles, so the idea was that his sitter would give him one or two solid meals while I'm away.

Has your son been eating more solids now? Is the gag reflex less intense? Any feedback would be welcome.

Thank you!

my son has gotten a little better. he eats fruits and veggies with a whole grain cereal or oatmeal mixed with bm or formula. doesn't do a whole lot of gagging there. whenever we try a veggie or fruit pureed with out bm or formula he still gags. he also really loves plain yogurt. i think he just prefers bland tasting food...

when we give him food from the table, ie pancakes this am, he plays with it for a long time and then he gags when he actually gets some broken off into his mouth. i just smile at him and tell him it's okay he can swallow it.

i offer everyday at least twice, my md said that i should continue doing this because it is time for him to experience different flavors and textures so i keep offering. good luck with your lo!
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11