Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long in duration should a baby feed?

Default How long in duration should a baby feed?

I have a two week old that was born at 37 weeks. He wants to eat between 1 hour and 2.5 hours throughout the day and night. However, when he is eating, he sucks continuously for about 1 to 5 minutes and then he goes into a pattern of sucking 3 or 5 times and then stopping. Eventually he becomes un-latched and at that point I can't get him to latch on again at all. Once he lets go his jaw becomes like a steel trap I can't open it up. On average he only feeds for about 10 minutes. Should he be eating more at each feeding? How can I get him to do that? I've tried getting him naked, playing with his feet and hands, etc. He still just falls asleep and unlatches.

Default Re: How long in duration should a baby f

My little guy never really ate for longer than ten minutes, he just ate more frequently - I was worried because all the books I was stupidly reading suggested tht I time the feed and feed for at least 20 minutes a side or something crazy like that - I thought for sure my baby was going to starve. Nope, he is and always has been a chunker. Some babies are just more efficient at the breast. In your case, since your baby was early, it could also be that he can't hold as much milk at one time so just needs smaller meals more frequently. As long as he's having plenty of wet and poopy diapers and seems content, I wouldn't worry about it, Mama. Welcome to LLL!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

My DD is still like this. She was one month early. She also only feeds off one side at a time. Makes for little social life for mom and a LOT of B'Fing, but she's only going to be this little for a short time, so I just try to enjoy our special bonding time. I also went to see a lactation consultant and did a pre/post feed weight check and had LC watch us feed to ensure that baby was transferring enough milk. Turns out she is just a fast, efficient nurser, who likes frequent, smaller feeds.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

How is his output of wet and poopy diapers? A long as that is okay, and he is gaining weight at an acceptable rate, fast feedings are just a sign of an efficient nurser, and frequent feedings are just a sign of a small tummy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO only nursed on one side at a time and only for about 5 to 15 minutes at a time. My lactations said that the one side at a time was good because LO got more of the hind milk with had more calories and stayed with her longer than the fore milk.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momma2angels View Post
    My LO only nursed on one side at a time and only for about 5 to 15 minutes at a time. My lactations said that the one side at a time was good because LO got more of the hind milk with had more calories and stayed with her longer than the fore milk.
    Although most moms are encouraged to offer both sides at a feeding, in order to ensure adequate milk supply. Moms with especially abundant milk supplies are usually the ones best suited to single-sided feedings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mine takes his sweet time, up to 1 hour sometimes so I envy you and your efficient little baby.