Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 Week Old Fussing/Pulling

Default 7 Week Old Fussing/Pulling

Hi Everyone,

I am a first time mom & my daughter is 7 1/2 weeks old. I have been pretty much EBF; she has had several bottles of pumped milk over the last few weeks (we need to get her used to a bottle since I go back to work in 2 weeks). Over the last 5 days or so, she has been fussing and wiggling/pulling a lot while nursing. She seems to do this most after about 7-10 min on the first breast and then when I switch sides if my milk doesn't let down right away. Sometimes while she is wiggling she comes off the breast and is off and on, off and on. So her latch is not good & she fusses. Also I'm getting kind of sore from the pulling & poor latches. It seems like when the milk lets down she is content but it doesn't let down quickly b/c she isn't sucking consistently. She doesn't do this every time she nurses, but maybe 50-75% of her feedings over the last few days have been like this. She has been spitting up more as well, I think probably b/c she is taking in more air with her fussing. I know that my milk lets down fast at first & she sometimes coughs & pulls off to catch her breath. I usually burp her when this happens. I also burp her between sides. Another strange thing is the time between feedings - sometimes she will go 3-4 hrs & be perfectly happy (usually while she is sleeping), other times she will want to nurse after 1-2 hrs. She is still having plenty of wet & soiled diapers. I usually give her a pacifier if she's fussing but I know she's eaten enough, of if she is acting like she wants to suck but doesn't want to eat.

So basically I'm just not sure if this is normal, or if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is something I could be doing to help her nurse better. She did great for the first 7 weeks - eating usually about 10-15 min from each breast at each feeding. I thought maybe a growth spurt but it doesn't really seem like she's eating more, just fussing more.

I tried to give as much info as I could...looking for advice from more experienced moms! Thank you!

Default Re: 7 Week Old Fussing/Pulling

What you describe sounds so normal that I think it should be in the textbook under the "confusing but normal nursing/behavior in a newborn" heading. I know it's very frustrating, and it makes you wonder what on earth you could be doing wrong- but it all sounds pretty normal to me. I think one of the hardest things for a breastfeeding mom is releasing the fear that every weird thing her baby does is somehow related to something she did or didn't do, YK? This link may help you sort out what exactly is causing the fussiness: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Totally normal.

Your baby is also around prime fussy time, age-wise. Most sources will tell you that it peaks around 6 weeks and has usually subsided by around 3-4 months. With my daughter, I think it was worst at about 6-9 weeks and had mostly gone away by about 4.5 months.

I drove myself crazy trying to figure out what the "problem" was so that I could FIX it If you can't find a smoking gun, you might just chalk it up to her age and work on soothing strategies.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Thanks for replying (& for reading my super long post)! The Kelly Mom links are very helpful. Good to know it will eventually get better! I was worried b/c she was a very content nurser for the first 7 weeks & it's much less enjoyable this way...
    Last edited by @llli*juliasmomma; August 24th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

With my girls, 6 weeks to 3 months was the hardest time. All the excitement from the birth has worn off, and you're fully engaged in the hard slog of parenting, the sleep deprivation is going full steam, and the baby not only isn't really able to relate to you yet (few smiles, giggles, coos, tender touches) but also is in the worst fussy stage. But it does get better! Hang in there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Completely Normal Being a first time mama and BF I thought the worst also, but now at 12 weeks I almost forgot about the pulling and fussing!