Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advice from full time working mamas

Default Re: advice from full time working mamas

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lawyer.mama View Post
    Sounds like there is a trend of feeling "done" with pumping after 9 months-- good to know we are not alone.
    From what I can find, there's a feeling of "being done" with pumping around 6 weeks (if you have to EP), 3 months, 6 months, then around 8-9 months. Many moms find they can't make enough around 9 months either. And interestingly enough, many FT nursing moms say around 9 months, they feel like they don't have a lot of milk either -- how often do we see a mom of a baby around that age coming here and freaking out because her supply seems low? Quite a few!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilady453 View Post
    Wow! So good to read this....my LO is 6 1/2 months, and my supply is running low as well...this week I've pumped 11 oz. one day, 10 oz. the next (during a FULL day at work) and I pump about 3 - 4 times a day! I'm wondering if my period has anything to do with it as well....it came today. I've been drinking the Mothers Milk tea, tons of water and trying to snack on different things as well. Any other suggestions / ideas?
    I'd suggest starting your own thread, so this won't get lost.

But AF could certainly be messing with you. I haven't even gotten it back yet, but I notice around the end of each month, I'm a bit low. I always suggest checking out your pump -- maybe even changing the membranes and valves -- eating oatmeal, taking herbs, and even medications if needed. If it's just a monthly slump, that's when a freezer stash is useful; just replace it when you have extra. And a couple extra pumping sessions never hurt! And then, when you are with baby, allow unrestricted nursing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The thing about pumping is that it gives you an opportunity to really freak out about supply, because you know exactly how much you're "supposed" to be pumping, so it's easy to get really obsessed with the numbers. But the reality is that you'll have good days and bad days pumping, and one bad day doesn't mean your supply is tanking, you know? So hang in there, and try not to stare at those bottles filling up! I found it helpful to make pumping time at work a nice break - I brought my novel into the conference room where I pumped, listened to music on my iPod, etc. When I pump weaned at a year, I really genuinely missed my reading breaks! (But I was happy to not have to schlep milk and pumps everywhere, don't get me wrong.)

Cosleeping with my baby at night really helped with my stress levels. This is one really great aspect of having a baby who doesn't sleep much - he nursed all night, and I always knew he was keeping my supply high and getting enough milk. Having a bad pumping day at work wasn't the end of the world.

It is common to feel very "done" around nine months. Pumping is work. Just take a deep breath. You can do this.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Wow, I'd say that 10 oz in one session is a huge amount. I worked full time and pumped w/o supplementing untill my oldest was 1. My other DD is 11 months and I've been pumping and leaving bottles w/o supplementing with her. I pump 4x a day and typically get 3 oz/session, but really it varies from 2 - 4 and always has. Once in a while if LO sleeps hard I'll get 5 oz on a Monday morning. I think you're doing great. My only advise would be to add a session if you're feeling like your supply's getting low. Also, at 9 months, rather than give your LO a snack in the evening if he's still hungry after nursing, would solids be an option? At that age, some kids just seem to need the extra calories from solids.

A lot of wise words from PP! DS is 20 mo and I have never supplmented. I was a CRAZY pumper and I think I gave myself oversupply because of it! I pumped 4x a day... (1) while driving to work at 8 am (2) at 11 am (3) at 230 pm and (4) on the way home from work. I was fortunett enough that I had the time to pump and had oversupply... but it was exhausting and I'm happy I hung up my horns when DS was 14 mo. Perhaps you can pump extra on the weekends to make up for it? Or add another pumping session during the work day? How much do you pump a day and how much does your LO require? Sounds like you are doing great, hang in there.

A few words of encouragement... Just think your LO will be 12 mo soon and you can introduce water. Hang in there! Just a few more short months!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

From everything I've heard & read, most "normal" women can pump about 1oz per hour, so if you're pumping 2x a day and getting 2-4oz.... that's "average". My LO is almost 5mths, and I still get sometimes 7-8oz, but usually get 2-4 so I think my body is just adjusting to what she needs, because she usually only drinks three 4oz bottles while I'm away from her (from about 7:00AM-5PM). She usually BF's around 5 or 6AM before I leave for work, and then once or twice before bed. I hope you can make it to your goal!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rdh2378 View Post
    From everything I've heard & read, most "normal" women can pump about 1oz per hour, so if you're pumping 2x a day and getting 2-4oz.... that's "average".

Also, around nine months, your supply may go down just because your baby is eating more solids. So some decrease is normal, and if your baby is eating solids during the day and doing okay with the milk you can pump, there's no reason to panic.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Great words of wisdon from PP! I am actually typing this as I pump for my 4 days from a year old LO. I have been pumping since I returned to work at 8 weeks. Its been tough, there have been many times I have freaked about my supply dipping... if I would go from pumping 5 oz each session to 3 I would get nervous and start worrying. Well, we made it a year, no supplementing, and had many days of 3 oz sessions. I just pumped 3.5 oz...

Also, it seemed that as he has gotten older I am not producing more milk, the same amounts. I would tend to think the caloric content is higher?? Maybe some expereinced members can weight in on that thought?

Whenever I would get worried, I would make sure that LO could nurse unrestricted at night and in the mornings. It always seemed that when I spent an hour or 2 on the couch or floor with him letting him nurse as he pleased it spiked my supply.

Keep up the good work... you are doing a great thing for your baby... just keep pumping and see what happens.

Breastfed babies drink about the same amount of milk, volume-wise, from about three months (or even earlier) on. The volume doesn't go up, but the composition of the milk changes to suit your child's changing needs. When your baby gets really interested in solids (some do earlier, some later), the volume may go down, but the antibody concentration goes up so your baby is getting more good stuff with every sip. It's amazing stuff, breastmilk.

You can call me JoMo!

I pumped for a year and never had to supplement. With my second baby, I worked part time, with my third, full time. It is HARD work. You have come very far. Don't give up now! With my DD#2 I experienced a drop at about 10 months and I took Reglan. It really helped me. A lactation consultant who was also a nurse practitioner prescribed it for me. Now, since then I have heard that it can cause some nasty side effects, but for me I experienced no side effects and it allowed me to pump to a year without supplementing. I also like the idea that if you think your baby is still hungry in the evening to give him solids or just let him keep nursing if it does not frustrate him. It may allow you to get a second let down and raise your supply.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

I am a full time working momma and I have been pumping at work for 2 years straight!! You guys can do it!!! (Went back to work when my son was 6 weeks old)
    My son has never tasted formula and has only had tastes of cows milk for fun : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09