Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advice from full time working mamas

Default advice from full time working mamas

Anybody out there work full time and make it at least a year without supplementing? If so what is your advice. Nearing 9 months but can't see how I'm gonna make it without supplementing.

Default Re: advice from full time working mamas

Hi, mama! Yes, there are several mamas around here who pumped at work FT and did it without supplementing. I did. And I know what a commitment and tremendous amount of dedication it takes on the part of a FT working mama.

Can you tell me a little more about what the issue is? Are you not pumping as much as you did before? Is your DCP saying you need more milk? Give us some more insight, so we can help.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Hi mama! My baby is 9.5 months and I got pretty frustrated around the 9 month mark with pumping too. I'm determined to make it though-- only 3 more months, 90 days, 12 weeks, however you want to look at it. I decided that TODAY I was going to pump and TOMORROW I was going to pump, and I repeat that every day (all the while knowing that I can't really just stop pumping . . .). I have made it through working late, traveling, and changing jobs so far. As far as production goes, mine has dropped a bit. I eat oatmeal and drink a huge glass of water every morning with lots of snacks and water throughout the day, which seems to help. Also, I found it easier just to do what I needed to pump and ask questions later. For example, if someone wanted to schedule a 3:30 meeting that was going to take an hour, I would say "can we move that to 4?" since I pump at 3:30 (or depending on what I had going on before that I would just pump at 3:15). Rarely do people ask why, and if they do, I just say "I need to pump for my kid at that time" very bluntly. It kind of shuts down any discussion about it quickly. Right now it sort of sucks because it cuts into the work day a lot, but hey, just X more days until I can start pump-weaning. You are doing a great thing for your baby. Also, you are doing a great thing for other babies of other mamas in your workplace. Oh, one more thing, I pump right before I go to bed in case I need extra, or I put that in the freezer.

I went back to work full time when my son was 8 weeks old, and we made it a year without supplementing--though sometimes it was really close. I pumped until he was about 10 months old, and then pumping just didn't work anymore; I couldn't produce anything with the pump. We were really fortunate that I had a job that allowed me some flexibility, so when my son needed to nurse (until he was a year old or so), his dad brought him to my office. Around a year, his intake of solids increased, and he was able to get through the morning without nursing, so I nursed him during lunch, and as soon as I got home in the afternoons. It was tough sometimes, but it worked. He continued to nurse until he was 21 months old, so it didn't affect his nursing overall. I hope you're able to find a way to make it work.
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; August 25th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.

You can do it! I went back to work when my LO was five weeks and pumped for him for 15 months -- I was always worried that I wouldn't have enough - every day was a struggle, seriously. But if I needed to, I would wake up in the middle of the night and pump a few more ounces or power pump for a while right after i put him down. I remember quite a dip in supply around eight months that made it really difficult, but I was lucky because he started eating more solids around that time and needed a couple ounces less milk while i was gone. I also remember thinking around 9 months that I was just so done with pumping. Then it passed and somehow I was not ready to give that up for another three months after a year!! Anyway, keep at it. I know it's hard, but it's worth it.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Sounds like there is a trend of feeling "done" with pumping after 9 months-- good to know we are not alone.

Congrats to you all for your committment to pumping and working! You CAN do it. I promise. I went back to work full-time when my DS was 3 months old. He stopped nursing at 6 months, and I continued to pump and bottle-feed him breast milk until he was over a year. As far as getting extra milk goes - just try to pump as often as possible, which I'm sure you probably already are. My one piece of advice is to pump and drive if you feel you can do so safely. Once I started doing that, things got easier. Get a good hands-free pump bra (simple wishes was my favorite). Get in the car and get set up, then put on a nursing cover, strap on your seat belt and off you go. I found that I pumped more milk this way probably because I wasn't sitting there staring at the milk coming out! Anyways, pumping on the way to work and on the way home from work gave me extra milk and avoided having too many pumping sessions during the work day. Hope that helps. Hang in there, you can do it!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Yep - worked & pumped for both my babies without supplementing. VERY normal to hit a "slump" around 9 mo or so. No real advice - just lots of determination and juggling to make it happen. Hang in there! You're doing a great thing!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Wow! Thank you for all the words of encouragement! I really don't mind the pumping, my milk supply just seems to be dwindling. I usually nurse in the morning around 530am, then pump twice in an 8 hour shift (3 if I can squeeze it in) and nurse him 2 to 3 times when I get home, and usually pump one last time before bed. When I first went back to work I was pumping 10 oz at a time ( 5 out of each side). Which I know is quite a bit, but it was great having all that milk! Lately I've only been getting 2 to 4 oz total per pumping. Also sometimes in the evening he is just not satisfied after nursing and requires a little extra bm in a bottle. I try not to supplement extra bm, but sometimes he is just still hungry! I have very little frozen left for the baby sitter and my husband. I have tried fenugreek, which seems to help off and on. I am determined to keep giving him whatever amount of breastmilk I can, for as long as I can. Thanks again for the encouragement!!

Wow! So good to read this....my LO is 6 1/2 months, and my supply is running low as well...this week I've pumped 11 oz. one day, 10 oz. the next (during a FULL day at work) and I pump about 3 - 4 times a day! I'm wondering if my period has anything to do with it as well....it came today. I've been drinking the Mothers Milk tea, tons of water and trying to snack on different things as well. Any other suggestions / ideas?