Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work after 11 months...

Default Going back to work after 11 months...

My daughter is 11 months old and has nursed on demand since birth. I need to get a supply built up to give to the preschool, (she will be attending the same one I am working for) but she nurses so many times during the day it's hard to get anything when I try to pump. She is also still waking up at least 3 times during the night to nurse so I can't even get up in the middle of the night to do it and have supply. What to do...what to do??!?!?!?

Default Re: Going back to work after 11 months..

11 months. That is tough. If it were 12 I would say don't pump at all. Many (if not most) of us that work pump weaned at about 12-14 months. But to go totally from on demand nursing to nothing is hard on your body. I would be aiming not to pump much or for long if it were me (I hate pumping) unless my baby was allergic to a bunch of stuff. You can let them have cow milk at 12 (they won't all take it) and if you are still nursing a lot before and after work you don't even need to. I wouldn't want to pump much at this point though. Just add it up in the freezer and see if you can make two or three 3 oz bottles but pumping for a few minutes after one session a day. That is really plenty. Then you pump as and when you need to and give it to her the next day.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: Going back to work after 11 months..

Unfortunately, baby girl is lactose intolerant so she can't have cow's milk. I would rather her have bm anyway. I don't mind pumping - just wanted suggestions on how to go about getting enough saved up to give to the center. Going to pump when she goes down for naps during the day then once I start working I'll do it there every few hours. Thanks!