Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to transition...

Default How to transition...

My daughter is 11 months old and has been nursing on demand since birth. I have been lucky enough to be able to stay home. I have recently been offered a job at a local preschool. I will be able to pump when I need to, but how should I go about transitioning my daughter to not being able to nurse. I gave her bm in a sippy cup today...she drank it no problem, but not sure if that's going to work for napping and I DO NOT want to give her a bottle.

Default Re: How to transition...

If she will eat fine, I would let the DCP deal with the napping problem. It will be a new place and without you there, she may be more willing to go to sleep without nursing.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

What's the easiest way to build up a supply to give to the preschool? She will be going to the same preschool that I'm going to be working for. ( I can't nurse her though) She nurses so much during the day it's hard to get anything when I try to pump...and she's waking up at least 3 times during the night still...

You only need enough for a day--maybe two. I usually pumped about an hour after I had nursed, but some moms pump right after nursing. You won't tend to get a lot to start with but little bits add up.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting