Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Discussing weaning with a toddler

Default Discussing weaning with a toddler

How did you talk about weaning with your toddler?
    My son is 26 months old, and I want to try one of the ideas in the No-Cry Sleep Solution, which is to make a personalized storybook that helps introduce your child to a new routine.
    What I want to know is, are there particular conversations / ideas / words / phrases that helped you discuss the issue with your child?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Discussing weaning with a toddler

I keep telling my son, who just turned 2 today! that he is a big boy and doesnt need "mamma mamma" any more. He even says "switch sides"? to ask for more. I try to point out pictures of babies and explain how he is a big boy. It certainly does not happen overnight.
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009

Yeah we've read Maggie's Weaning and talked about how he is a big boy for a while now but he's three and not ready to give it up. I was going to do a very partime preschool in January so we have talked about when he is ready for school he won't need boobie anymore. Sometimes I give him a choice like do you want boobie or watch Little Einsteins, or boobie or go outside and play baseball. More and more he will decide he'd rather have the other thing over the boobie. Funny how I feel proud that he is growing up but also sad that he is growing up. Our weaning is definitely very gradual and a lot of it is because I am not pressing it. I am so busy with 2 part time jobs and my girls activities that nursing ensures my son that I will focus just on him a couple of times a day.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

My son goes to full time pre-school and still nurses on the weekend naps and nighttime, but sleeps through the night now. he is now 28months. We still talk about being a big boy but time is still going too slow for me. **sigh
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009

I am nursing my 30 month old about 4-5 times a day now but not at night. When we night weaned at 27 months we talked about how nummies needed to sleep and in the middle of the night she could get pretzels or water with daddy but mommy and her nummies need to sleep. There was a lot of crying with daddy the first 3 nights and she would say at bedtime "I will cry for nummies during the night" and it was difficult but we really wanted to do it because I was newly pregnant and the pain of nursing during pregnancy was too great for me to be able to sleep with her latched on.

Anyway, I am not ready to completely wean her yet and know it's really important to her but I do talk to her if I want to do something other than nurse, and she can be agreeable to alternatives (can be, not always by any means) but sometimes she'll be fine with reading a book or playing outside or whatever instead of nursing.

The most I've done talking with her about fully weaning is if she talks about kids in her books nursing I might say "oh he looks pretty old, he might have weaned and not nurse anymore." or something like that. I might have casually said something about some day she won't need nummies any more but to be honest that kind of makes me a little sad just thinking about it, too, because of how special it is for us (then of course I have days I really don't want to nurse her, too).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yeah my son is getting so close but he is over 40 months. Are big thing is a weaning party he is always talking about what we will have who we will invite. When he does ask to nurse I gently remind him that he can't have his party until he has gone 2 weeks without nursing. His record so far 2 days. But most days now its just once it's definitely slowing down. I am trying to be supportive but it's hard because I miss the snuggling but he is showing lots of signs he is ready. He starts preschool this week so I think that will help too. Can't believe we lasted so long.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

I weaned my DD during my pregnancy. I could not bear the pain. We read books: Maggie's weaning, Baby on the way, what baby needs, and mama's milk. We talked a lot about how babys need milk, that they can't eat food like her. When she saw me put medicine on my nipples, that was the breakthrough - that wasthe first time she did not askto nurse.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby