Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice on maybe when to start weaning

Question Advice on maybe when to start weaning

hello I am new to the group, I am a 28yr old stay at home/full time pstry arts student/ mother of 7, my kids are ages 9 and under. My first 6 kids I formula fed, but my now 11mnth old daughter Aliyah, I chose to breastfeed. Their dad suggested it and I was kindy about it. So i initially tried it and from day one she latched on, she will be 1yr old september 17th, and to my surprise I am still nursing, she strictly nurses, no bottles, besides when she goes to childcare on tues and thurs, and even those are pumped bottles, but she usually only drinks 1 or 2. She has never really like baby food so, she pretty much eats what we eat, diced, chopped, or food processor and drinks juice from a sippy cup. But anyway she is literally glued to my hip and I give that to nursing . But since this is the first time that I have nursed, my big question is, how do you know when to start weaning, how old or big is too big to still be breastfeeding. I am so attached to her, and love breastfeeding, I really dont want to stop, I gave myself a cutoff time of 1yr, but that is approaching and I cant see me stopping just yet. Oh yeah by the way she is walking and has been since 10mnths and has a tooth coming in . HELP!!!!!

Default Re: Advice on maybe when to start weanin

Welcome and congratulations on making it to nearly a year of nursing! That's awesome, especially when you are combining that with school and caring for 6 kids under age 9!

I can totally understand your feelings about weaning at this point. With my first daughter, I also set a goal of nursing to one year. But as her first birthday approached, I just could not envision weaning her! So I didn't. I nursed her until she was 3 years old, at which point she self-weaned. It was great, and I intend to go the same route with my second child.

There is no age at which nursing is no longer beneficial. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends Breastfeeding for a minimum of 1 year, and as long thereafter as is mutually desired by both mother and baby, and notes that significant health benefits continue to accrue the longer a baby is nursed. The World Health Organization recommends nursing for a minimum of 2 years, and as long thereafter as is mutually desired by baby and mama. Anthropologist Katherine Deyywyler estimates the natural age of weaning to be sometime between 2 and 7 years of age: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_20135603/

Toddler nursing is great! You don't need to worry about your LO's diet, even if she goes on a toddler food jag and will eat only spaghetti and ketchup for a week straight. If she gets sick, your milk has antibodies that will help her get better. If she bumps her head or skins her knee or pops some new teeth, or cannot sleep, the breast will soothe her in a heartbeat. Breastfeeding longer decreases your risk for conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.

Keep on keepin' on, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can decide not to wean, and your LO will wean on her own. Breastmilk is always nutritious, always hydrating, always packed with anti-bodies.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

You can just take it day by day. You don't have to decide now. I've always said I will breastfeed Joe for as long as he wants it and I'm still enjoying it. I love the idea of him self-weaning, but if that's not going to work for me, I will guide him towards weaning. Although people will ask you "how long you plan to breastfeed" you don't have to have a hard answer, you know? I usually respond to that question with "Things are going great, so I don't plan to wean him this week!"

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you very much for the advice, I know I am not going to stop anytime soon, but just wondering since her 1yr bday s approaching. But i think I am far from deciding to stop. Just love it so much, and I truly love the bond that nursing has created between her and I, especialy with her being the last child.

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT A YEAR WITH 6 OTHER KIDS AND SCHOOL!!!! Everyone in my family expected me to stop when LO turned 1y but she will be 2y next month and we are still going. We pretty much just nurse at home and at a few other family members houses where they aren't uncomfortable. I'm satisfied chances are we will probably still be nursing to some extent this time next year.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel