Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pediatrician advice?

Default Pediatrician advice?

My DD had her well baby check up today and the Dr. gave me some advice that I am uncomfortable with.
    DD is 10 months old and still nurses through the night. We did BLS, she picked up her first piece of food just before six months and has had fun with it since but still doesn't show any signs of letting up on the BF -which is fine by me!

She begins the night off in a co-sleeper play pin that is next to our bed. In the middle of the night she wakes up wanting milk and usually sleeps the rest of the night in our bed with us, though sometimes I'll put her back if she can't seem to get comfortable with us, it happens sometimes but not often. Usually she'll wake up one more time to nurse, it is more a "comfort nurse" than wanting food, but so far I haven't minded.

The Dr. said that she should soon be going down to three nursings during the day and none at night, that if she wakes up to let her cry and that she needs to develop her own coping mechanisms, that her sleep cycles will be so much better if we do this. This goes COMPLETELY against everything my heart and mind is telling me. Is there an LLLL who can help me out and let me know what I should do, pay attention to what the dr. says or switch pediatricians? I have LLL's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding but I haven't broken it out and gone searching. The advice threw me into a space where I wanted someone human to tell me that my instincts are right!

Thanks!!!
    -LillieMama loves her baby Bea!

Default Re: Pediatrician advice?

Can the pedi's advice and follow the cues that your child gives you. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job, she's thriving, and there's no reason to think or act otherwise.

Disclaimer: I normal don't just say flat out can a pedi's advice...but in this case, I think its warranted.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Frankly, I think your pediatrician gave you advice so bad that it is laughable. 3 nursings a day and none at night? .

My pediatrician would tell you that until a year, breastmilk (or formula) should make up the majority of a baby's diet, and that until age 1, solids are just for fun. Three nursing sessions per day is unlikely to provide a baby with the majority of her calories. My pediatrician would also tell you that the transition to a majority-solids diet may be slow, with many babies not eating much solid food until well into their second year.

If you are planning to wean at one, you may want to focus on getting your baby to eat a balanced solid diet in addition to unrestricted nursing. Once your baby turns one, then you can start the weaning process, cutting one feeding a day until they are all gone. But if you are planning to keep nursing your child into the toddler years- something I highly recommend!- then there's no reason to try to whittle down your number of nursing sessions. Give it enough time, and your baby will wean on her own, I promise!

As for sleep, your pediatrician gave you parenting advice, not medical advice. If you are happy to nurse at night, there is no reason not to do so. If you would like to cut down on night-nursing, you can do that, too- but it's totally up to you. Again, it's a parenting decision, not a medical one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with everything llli*mommal said..

If you agree with your pediatrician on MEDICAL issues, I would not change. Follow your parenting cues and don't take his parenting advice, you know? However, if you want someone that agrees with you and more of your parenting views, I would ask around for breastfeeding friendly pediatricians and interview from there. As long as you are happy with your nursing relationship and your child is growing fine, I would not worry about it

Thank you ladies! This was exactly the encouragement I needed! The sad thing is this pediatrician is a women who has a son. The advice wasn't asked for either. I am perfectly happy having my baby nurse in the middle of the night as often as she wants and did not ask her for advice. It is upsetting that I am sure she wouldn't tell a mother to take a child's pacifier away from them at a year old but because I don't use one and offer myself instead then it should be limited or stopped. I will definitely be changing pediatricians to someone I am more comfortable with!
    Last edited by @llli*lilliemama; August 24th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
    -LillieMama loves her baby Bea!

I just wanted to thank the OP for the question, and all those who responded for their words of wisdom in this thread. I just got the same advice from my ds's pediatrician, though her approach was more one of "when you're ready, you can do this because nutritionally he doesn't need to be fed at night." Well, I think I'll probably never be ready for CIO! She's absolutely great with everything else parenting-related (she supports baby wearing, BLS, some co-sleeping)--it's just this one area where we disagree. I think I'll stick with her, though I don't think we'll talk about sleep any more

I totally agree with mommal, it's really nice that your ped thinks that but no need to take to heart. My 6 yr old nursed to sleep and coslept untill she was 2 and kept cosleeping untill she was 3 all the time. Oor ped mentioned letting her cry. I said 'Thats something to thing about' then kept doing what worked for us. At 6, she'll settle to bed in her own bed just fine, no sleep issues! As for nursing 3x per day, I have a 10 month old and really?!? When I'm not working she'll nurse 4-5 times during the day and much of the nite. She's not nursing as much during the day because she's so mobile and into doing stuff, but makes up for it at night.
    I'd say (as someone else already did) listen to the dr on the medical stuff, but on parenting stuff, listen to yourself and your child!

I'm of the firm belief that if you haven't asked about sleeping / nursing / feeding and your LO is in good health, you take it like any other piece of unsolicited advice. Smile, nod, and do your own thing.

Opinions are like butt holes, everyone's got one; but that doesn't mean you want to hear from them!!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and