Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spoon or No spoon?

Default Spoon or No spoon?

My LO has just started solids for about week now. We have spoon fed her so far, but really want to to BLW. The thing is she is really good with the spoon, I put some food on the spoon for her and go to feed her, she inmediatly grabs it and puts it in her mouth. It's pretty much sideways, but she still gets the food in there!!! I did try pear today, a big enough chunk for her to hold. She did bring it to her mouth, but it was slippery. She did great with a piece of chicken just sucked on it!!! So should I continue with the spoon, since she is feeding herself with it. Would that classify as BLW?? Or skip the utensil???

Default Re: Spoon or No spoon?

If she's feeding herself with the spoon, I'd let her play with it and experiment. It's spoonfeeding your child that goes against the BLS concept a bit, although I personally think you can do both. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks, I would like to do both, just don't want to confuse her, I guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. With soft foods like yogurt, she can either try the spoon herself or you can give her a few spoons-full. With finger food, it's not an issue, you don't need a spoon. Although trying to get peas onto a spoon might be great fun for a baby!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't think you will confuse her by doing both spoon feeding and BLS. I agree that it's okay to go ahead and spoon feed things like yogurt, applesauce, soup broth, and other things she can't really handle herself. One thing I do (though it can be messy) it to "preload" a spoon for DD and set it on her tray. She can pick it up and eat the food if she wants, chew on the handle, throw it on the floor, or ignore it entirely. She actually has pretty good spoon skills now. That is, if it's loaded with something she actually likes to eat.

One of the points of BLS is allowing your child the opportunity to explore the food that is going into her mouth, to see, touch, and smell it in addition to tasting it. I would make sure you offer your child plenty of opportunity to do this with age-appropriate finger foods. Some foods, by their nature, are harder to handle without a utensil. You can put a plop of it on the tray and let her experiment with what goopy things feel like, but you can also go ahead and offer a little on a spoon if it seems like she interested in actually eating it. The spoon is not a tool of the devil; it doesn't have to be all or nothing!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010