Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Important question about excess lipase

Default Important question about excess lipase

My husband and I have been talking about having another child. For a while we had decided not to have any more children. We have one daughter who is 4 and was breastfed until she was 18 mos old. I had a lot of struggles with it and excess lipase was one of them. The other major struggle was my daughter having multiple food-protein intolerances that were only diagnosed through my going on an elimination diet.

So, my question now is for any of the moms who had issues with excess lipase (or know someone who did/does): Did you notice that your child had issues with colic, diarrhea, raw rectum/bottom, spitting up or general GI upset as a baby, and/or did you end up finding out that your child had food intolerances/allergies.

I am starting to have a lot anxiety about this aspect of having another child and begging to wonder if I may have accidentally caused some or all of my daughters digestive issues by feeding her breastmilk with excess lipase. I know that if adults take more digestive enzymes than needed as a dietary supplement that it can cause GI upset and inflammation. But, unfortunately there are VERY FEW medical professionals who know anything about excess lipase in breastmilk--let alone what it's reaction may be in the infants ingesting it. So, I am hoping for some anecdotal evidence from anyone who has anything they can share with me.

Default Re: Important question about excess lipa

Nope. I have excess lipase now, and had it with my first daughter. Neither one has had either of the issues that you're talking about.

no issues here mama, try not to worry. bm is better on a baby's system than anything else

I have excess lipase and my DS has never had issues with colic, excess gas, rashes etc. He is very happy and content drinking his soapy milk...lol

I can't be 100% sure, but I'd be very surprised it there was actually a link. Think about it like apples and oranges: lipase breaks down fats (apples) and food intolerances generally have to do with proteins (oranges).
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I have lipase, and while all of my babies had colic, none had any such issues other than a dairy sensitivity that they outgrew. And peanuts. Which is probably genetic to some degree.

Besides, lipase is really only a problem in pumped milk; if most of your BFing was direct, then it was a moot point.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

you did NOT "cause" your child's food intolerances / allergies!!!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)