Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk storage capacity

Default Milk storage capacity

I remember at the NICU being told not to go longer than 6 hours between "breast drainings" in order to ensure my supply doesn't dip. LO is now almost 5 months actual (4 months adjusted) and often eats then sleeps from 9-10PM to 4-5AM, when she eats again. Then, often won't eat when I get up an hour to an hour and a half later to leave for work. I then pump at 8AM. How long is TOO long to go between "breast drainings" to ensure my supply doesn't dry up? She only easts off one breast per feed, also, so I often just hand express a bit in between feeds off the breast she isn't feeding from.

Default Re: Milk storage capacity

As long as you are pumping a sufficient amount, and the baby seems satisfied when nursing, you can safely let her sleep through without needing to pump. Your supply will not dry up as long as you take the trouble to maintain it- which means that if you see a dip, you nurse more and/or pump more, and your supply will respond and increase. The NICU nurse gave you good advice- but it's advice for the mom of a very young baby who may not be nursing well, and for someone who needs to establish a good supply. It's not accurate for someone with a good supply, whose baby is nursing well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So she went to bed @ 9:00PM last night, after nursing. Then nursed at 4:30AM, and one really short session @ 6:30AM. Then, at 8:30AM, I pumped almost 7ounces. Think I can continue to do what I've been doing then? My morning session was a bit less yesterday, but still around 5-6 ounces.

As long as you are able to pump enough when away from baby and baby is satisfied when you are together, whatever you are doing is working! Little fluctuations of 1-2 oz are totally normal from day to day. If you see a trend, though, where you are consistently not getting enough milk when you pump, or baby is not satisfied or stops having wet and poops as normal, then it's time to re-evaluate what you are doing. It's the rare mom, though, who needs to get up and pump at night.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

One other question. If I BF vs. Pump today (we have Dr. appointment) is it ok to use a bit of frozen tomorrow to cover what I don't pump today?

Yes, as long as you are not consistently pulling from the freezer to make up the difference. If you are, you'll use up the stash and have no fall-back. If you pump, try to replace and rotate as you go.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!