Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night weaning 1 month old???

Question Night weaning 1 month old???

my daughter is almost 6 weeks old. ever since she was born shes gone 4-5hr stretches at night asleep, cosleeping. i would wake her every 4hr at night at first to nurse but bc she has been gaining fine (8lb10 at birth, about 12lbs now at 5 1/2wk) i stopped waking her at night. well the past 2-3 nights i've noticed she has slept ALL night, like 1130ish to 7ish w/out nursing! is that possible for a 5 week old to night wean themselves?? or is it probably just a phase? it was to the point that i was really sore when i woke up bc of her not nursing. also, if a baby weans at 6mo(i dont plan to wean her...) do they have to go on formula or would they just eat solids and drink water? O.o

Default Re: Night weaning 1 month old???

Only time will tell if it is a phase or if you are simply really lucky to be blessed with a good sleeper. Enjoy your sleep while you can. STTN does not have to mean your daughter will wean early. It is extremely uncommon for a baby to self wean at 6 mos as long a mom has a good supply. How is she doing with wet and poopy diapers?

If a baby is weaned at 6 months (typically by mom's choice) they need to be given formula until they are a year old.

This wasn't exactly your question, but as long as your baby is nursing plenty during the day, gaining well, and has good diaper output, you can let her sleep. Enjoy it! (If you want to wake her in the morning to nurse to relieve your discomfort, that's fine too, she might just snuggle right back down to sleep.)

Some babies sleep through the night early and then continue to sleep well. For some babies, it's a phase, and things will change up again. The only certain things with babies is change! So it could go either way.

It's rare for a baby to wean itself before a year, but if you wean a baby before that time, you will have to give formula. Water and solids won't provide the necessary nutrition. And straight milk is bad for babies that young, their gut can't fully digest it. Cow's milk is not recommended until a year. But if you breastfeed, you may not need cow's milk even at a year.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

just wanted to update that last night she was up later nursing and woke up a couple times to nurse. so i guess phase it is
    Mom (7/2011 & 3/2009) & Wife

well it was nice while it lasted right?

also just wanted to let you know i agree with the pp. most likely she will not wean herself, but if something happens they need formula until a year, and i suggest doing toddler formula or nursing until 36 months for complete nutrition!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we