Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

One of my montgomery glands are secreting a white liquidly discharge... It looks just like my milk? Is it possible for my milk to get through to the gland?
    I thought montgomery glands were there to secrete a lubricant, but not milk!
    BF'ing + pumping (working full time as BFPC) CD'ing , baby wearing , mother of an intact son , co-sleeping , and tandem nursing toddler... Plus I wear deodorant.

Default Re: Is this normal?

Its normal.
    Started my family in 1986
    Finally done in 2001

I have read about moms who have pores which open in the areola rather than the breast. I would say that as long as it feels okay and isn't red, or irritated, or weird-smelling, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Areolar glands or Glands of Montgomery are sebaceous glands in the areola (of the nipple). The glands make oily secretions (lipoid fluid) to keep the areola and the nipple lubricated and protected. Sounds normal to me
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Thank you for sharing. Whew... This has never happened before. I realized it was to lubricate my breast, but didn't know it was white. That is interesting that some women have ducts open on the areola! Maybe that is what is going on. No pain or swelling though. Thank you ladies. If it happens again, I won't freak out. (I didn't notice this until I was hand expressing in my office since I forgot my pump in style at home)
    BF'ing + pumping (working full time as BFPC) CD'ing , baby wearing , mother of an intact son , co-sleeping , and tandem nursing toddler... Plus I wear deodorant.

I have glands that produce actual milk on the edges of one of my areolas. It's weird. They appeared when I had my third kid
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!