Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions About My Brestfriend....

Default Questions About My Brestfriend....

So, I have been using Boppy, but I think as she is getting bigger, it's not quite working anymore, I would also use the wedge pillow I got for my tummy during pregnancy to angle her and prop her head a bit, but like I said, it all just seems cumbersome now. I got a brestfriend, but I haven't had much success in using it. It just seems awkward. I feel silly for asking this, but what are the two large lumps on the pillow. Are they for her head to rest? I just can't quite the hang of it, but I want to so I can work on nursing upright again, and getting a good deep latch. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what worked for you? I read an article on LowMilkSupply about how not using anything can put the baby in the best position for a good latch, but that just didn't work for us. Now that she is getting bigger, I am just not sure where to put her.

Default Re: Questions About My Brestfriend....

I'm not sure that My Brestfriend is going to help much with nursing upright, but maybe someone will chime in with a technique I haven't thought of

Yes - the two lumps are for her head. The Brestfriend worked best for me when my baby was still a newborn without much muscle tone or head control. The rigidity of the support was good for that. I'd strap it on fairly tight, right underneath my breasts, then lay her on it and latch her on, and we were pretty much hands free after that. I usually found that I needed an extra pillow underneath it to support the whole thing.

For nursing in a more upright position, I'd try sitting with a bunch of pillows, arranging the baby, then wedge pillows in to support my arms. Either that or I'd find a space at the end of the couch or in a chair where I could prop up my elbow on an arm. How old/big is your baby?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Hi, thank you for your response. My baby isn't that big, but she is a lot bigger than what I had gotten used to when she was smaller. She weighs 12lbs 10oz, and she is 15 weeks old. I don't remember how long she is, but she is just a regular sized baby. I guess I just want to be able to nurse well without too much extra needed so I can do it out and about without too much fuss. I don't know if it is too early for that though.

Well, honestly we used the boppy the first month and then nothing since. I would put him in my lap for the football hold or across me supported by my arm for the cradle hold. Then because of my overactive letdown I discovered side-lying at about 10 weeks. At 7 months that's all we do, which makes NIP very difficult, but it's the only way he'll nurse!

i LOVED my breastfriend with the two lumps only the same thing. my DD got too big of it and awkwardly had her legs hanging off the edge lol. Eventually i just did side lying on the couch to feed her. then i realized that i needed to figure out how to feed her without lying down lol ( i cant do that in public haha) so we tried cross cradle and that really seemed to work and i would cross my legs in a way where my ankle is resting on my opposite knee for extra i guess.. support in a way.. makeshift platform if u will lol.