Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If I could just drop the bottles...

Default Re: If I could just drop the bottles...

Another thing you could do, if you're not sure a disposable diaper is wet, is to put a tissue in the diaper before you put it on baby. That way, you can see whether or not the tissue is wet, and you'll know that baby peed.

You can also pour one-two ounces of water into a dry disposable, so that you can get idea of how heavy a wet diaper is.

Tiana

Thank you for the tip Tiana!

Hey, I have more questions if anyone still wants to help.

Ok, so I'm now offering the breast 9-10 times a day. This is a lot since my nipples get quite sore. Should I be pumping after every feed? This keeps my nipples sore and I always find I feel less full at the next feed. I'm pumping for 15 minutes after the feed. Should I cut back the time?

Another question: how long is let down, typically? How long before I am supposed to feel full again after a feeding and pumping?

And... if baby only eats 9 times instead of 10, and I pump to remove milk, should this be considered one of the 10 times I log or should I offer the breast one more time? I mean, if baby missed a feeding because he wasn't hungry, I don't suppose offering the breast again will help...

Oh! And how long between feedings is considered the next feeding?

Thanks again everyone!
    Renee
    Last edited by rambec; November 9th, 2006 at 10:56 AM.

Hi Renee,

Don't worry about asking more questions! That's what we're here for.

Nipple soreness is *not* a normal part of breastfeeding. If your nipples or sore, there is a problem that can and should be fixed. Additionally, the most likely common reason for sore nipples is poor latch, and that *by itself* can cause low milk supply!

So...it is possible that by solving the nipple soreness problem, you could also solve your supply issues at the same time .

Here is a link to some more LLL information on nipple soreness:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/heal.html

HTH,

Tiana

TIANA:

You know, it's funny how sometimes the most obvious thing can be missed when you get caught up in everything else you are doing to achieve your goal (logging, pumping...). Since I read your posting last night, I paid special attention to baby's latch and sure enough, it's not all that great. I have thus corrected it to the best of my knowledge (still waiting for my new lactation consultant to call me back) and he does seem to get more out. We'll see in a few days if it makes a difference by increasing the quantity of milk I produce.

Oh, and my nipples haven't been sore since then. ;-) I had the feeling it wasn't my positioning, guess t'was the latch itself. Thanks for pointing it out.

ALL:

I'd still like to know about my other questions above please, if anyone can help.

You're Welcome!

I'm so glad you're feeling less pain, and LO seems to be getting more to eat. Big victories!

naking...

Tiana