Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does BFing take it all out of you?

Default Does BFing take it all out of you?

Does anyone else get really tired all the time from bfing/pumping? I am EPing, but I feel physically drained. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm lactating. Or if I'm not eating enough. But I used to be able to get up for school alright when I had a low supply and now I wake up and I'm a zombie.

Just wondering what other people experience. I'm facing a very tough decision as to whether to keep pumping after a year or not, as I feel like if I had more energy I'd be a better and more playful mother.

(BTW I got my thyroid checked and it is supposedly ok)

I really don't know how you ladies do this for 2-3 or more years!

Oh btw Connor is 9 months. I don't mean tired in the sense of "newborn nursing every hour and up all night". Or tired in an emotional sense.
    Last edited by @llli*katia11; August 23rd, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Default Re: Does BFing take it all out of you?

yes i feel drained sometimes, but i cant tell how much is pumping/nursing and how much is straight motherhood!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I feel exhausted all the time... but feel like a real jerk b/c my LO usually goes to bed around 9-10PM and STTN until around 3-5 AM, or sometimes even 6AM! I know I should consider myself lucky, and I DO, but I am still tired all the time, despite how much sleep I get. I have a love/hate relationship with BF'ng & Pumping.... sometimes I love it, and sometimes I hate it! IE: when it's a good feed, I ♥ bf'ng, and when I'm engorged, I love pumping. Monday morning's I can't wait to pump, and Friday afternoons I can't wait to be DONE with pumping until the next week!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    yes i feel drained sometimes, but i cant tell how much is pumping/nursing and how much is straight motherhood!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I personally think it's the pumping. I've NEVER felt as run down in my entire life, ever. Not during school. Not during some years of chronic problems. But I feel like this has taken it all out of me, and probably because I can't lay down and rest while I feed the baby. Pumping is just so much more work than nursing. It was a snap to nurse a baby for 2 years in comparison. This is NOT a typical experience.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    I agree, too. There's just so much new "stuff" to have to deal with that has never been a part of my life before. BFing is part of it, sure, but there's also dealing with sleep issues, constantly cleaning up after a messy eater, teething (molars coming in, ugh.), not having time for myself to recharge when I need it, etc.

Would it be possible to just cut back on pumping at a year, but not completely stop? I can't even imagine how you EPers do it. That takes so much commitment!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Being a FTM is hard enough. I pump at work and that is definitely more tiring (draining) than nursing. It's all work. When I am nursing it is a time for me to recharge with my little one, especially when I have just gotten home from work. (Of course it is not so relaxing when I am having homework questions yelled at me from the dining room. BTW, Thing 1 and Thing 2, your Father is in the kitchen and he also knows 6th grade/2nd grade math.) I do have to be careful that I eat enough and drink enough when I nurse but I can't imagine having to pump enough for my LO and feed him as well, along with the corresponding bottles/pumping equipment/etc. I am in awe of those of you who EP for any length of time.

Here is a suggestion: Don't think so far ahead. Make it to a year, and then decide month by month. And, s
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting