Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which has greater impact...

Default Which has greater impact...

Pumping after nursings or increasing # of nursings in a day? Yesterday a LC suggested that I pump after each feeding to increase my supply. However, before I could start my LO decided to start nursing more often and ended up adding one more session in 24 hours than she usually had. My concern with pumping after each feeding is that she decides to nurse an hour after feeding(30mins.after pumping) then there won't be much milk. She doesn't like to work for her food, hence the need to increase my supply a little.

What do you all think?

Default Re: Which has greater impact...

How old is your LO? I would offer the breast more often rather than pump and see what that does for your supply. Pumps are a pain and I avoided mine if I could. Does your baby take a bottle? Some babies that take bottles get used to how easy it is to get the milk from the bottle and don't like to do the work to get it from the breast. There are ways to fix this if that is your issue. You may want to take measures to help with letdown before you nurse if your baby is really upset about the length of time it takes.

My LO is 7 wks. She doesn't really take a bottle very well. We have been periodically working on that but still not a lot of luck. Eventually I hope she figures that out because I will be going back to work.

nothing is more effective at removing milk from your breast than a baby who is properly latched and nursing. The best way to increase your supply is to nurse more frequently. Breast pumps have a purpose but they cannot 100% mimic the hormonal response of your body to your actual baby nursing.
    Last edited by @llli*mom2a; August 23rd, 2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

totally agree with PP from personal experience. I have done pre and post feed weights and LO can transfer a ton of milk in a short amount of time. I can pump up to 7-10 ounces total sometimes on Monday mornings in one session after nursing all weekend on demand.