Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - can't keep up with DS's needs!

Default Help - can't keep up with DS's needs!

Sorry that this is long, I just need to vent.

I am a full-time working mom who's DH is a SAHD. DS is 10.5 months old and I plan to BF until at least 18 months, and then we'll go from there.

However, ever since DS turned 6.5 months and started solids, I have struggled to bring home the amount of BM from pumping at work that DS drinks while I'm gone. Sometimes I struggled before he started solids. I would barely bring home what he ate while I was gone, even when he was very young.

And the last month + has been even worse. I got my first PP cycle a month ago and then got another one two weeks ago.

I know all the things to do to increase BM supply, but since I'm working and can't be hooked up to a pump all day long, nothing seems to be working.

Here's what I do:
    -Drink only water - all.day.long!!
    -Tried Fenugreek - didn't work
    -I'm trying the tincture type of More Milk Plus right now (at least 2.5+ weeks, and it's not working at all).
    -I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day (except the past 3 days)

Here's my facts:
    -DS STTN and I pump around 9:30 or 10:00 pm, and then once I get to work around 8:30 am

-Before DS was on solids, I used to get 5-6oz out of my right breast for my first morning pump

-During the night (before STTN) I would feed DS from the left breast b/c it was easier for me to hold him on the left side and to not switch him to the right. This allowed for me to get 5-6 oz out of my right when I got to work. I would get about 3+ oz out of my left even if I had just nursed at 5:30-6:30 am.

-DH gives DS two 6-7 oz bottles while I'm at work. I can't pump 12-14oz while I'm at work (I never have been able to pump 14 oz while at work, ever).

-I now bring home about 4-6 oz from three pumping sessions at work.

-Lately, since my PP periods, I dropped to BARELY 3 oz from each breast for my first pumping session when at work. But the past week it's dropped to just 2 oz. Then if I've nursed DS before work from my left breast, I only barely get 1oz from the left and barely 2 oz from my right.

-DS is in the very distractable stage, and has been for at least 2 months now. He'd rather look around the room and "talk" to the ceiling fan or other objects in the room, instead of nursing for a while - even on the weekends.

I'm SO discouraged!! I know all the right things to do. I need DS's sucking stimulation. But it's hard being a full-time mom. And then when I get home at 5:00 to nurse him, sometimes he's barely interested and I have to make him nurse. But even so he only nurses for about 1 min to 5 min.

I saw the video (posted in the above sticky) about massaging breasts while pumping. Duh - why didn't I think of that before!!! It worked for my pumping session last night. And I was excited for my first pumping session today at work, but it didn't work this morning. This morning I barely got 1.5 oz from each breast (3oz total). The massaging didn't work as well this morning and I'm so discouraged and sad. I pump for 20-35 minutes each time.

We now, will definitely have to supplement with formula for DS since our freezer stash is now gone, b/c he eats 12-14 oz while I'm gone at work. And from 4 pumping sessions in a day, I barely pump out 7-9 oz!

I'm not sure what to do since I feel like as a working mom I'm doing everything that I can do. I'm fortunate enough to be about to pump 20-40 minutes at a time while at work, b/c other working moms may not have that luxury sometimes.

I know that I could wake up at about 3-5 am and add a pumping session then. But I want to know why my body can't keep up with DS without adding a mid-night pumping session. Why am I barely getting 4 oz total for my first morning session when DS eats 6-7 oz for his first bottle.

Is 6-7oz bottles too much for a 10 month old that also eats 3 solid food meals a day?
    Last edited by @llli*carolinakiwi; August 25th, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Default Re: Help - can't keep up with DS's needs

It sounds like what you're pumping is quite a lot, really. I think 6-7 ounce bottles is WAY too much milk. Your baby should be getting between 1 and 1.5 ounces each hour you're away. Babies wont stop from a bottle the same way they will stop while nursing, so they'll just eat til it's gone whether they need it or not.

Also, how did you take fenugreek? How many tablets/times per day?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

check out this link for further clarification of what PP was stating... 6-7oz is a LOT of breastmilk
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    It sounds like what you're pumping is quite a lot, really. I think 6-7 ounce bottles is WAY too much milk. Your baby should be getting between 1 and 1.5 ounces each hour you're away. Babies wont stop from a bottle the same way they will stop while nursing, so they'll just eat til it's gone whether they need it or not.

You confirmed that DS does eat a lot of BM from bottles. I've been telling DH that maybe we need to try his afternoon milk from a sippy cup (which he has to work at some), so that he doesn't just down a big bottle.

He's been drinking 6-8 oz bottles for a really long time now. I have two co-workers who each have girls that are 2-3 weeks younger than my DS and they're on formula from bottles. But I remember being flabergasted :-) when they told me they were taking four 8oz bottles a day. At the time, DS was still doing 4-5 oz.

I will tell DH to lower DS's milk intake and see if that helps even things out. DS never acts hungry. He is a "big boy" for his age from what other people say. He's not chunky looking, just tall and a larger frame.

When I took Fenugreek (I tried one bottle from GNC), I tool 3 pills, 3x's a day. I never saw any change. I wanted to take Blessed Thistle too, but the two GNC's I went to never had any - they don't carry it in-store.

And I had high hopes for More Milk Plus, but it's not working either. I sometimes drink the Mother's Milk tea, and I enjoy drinking it, but I haven't been consistent with it. When I was more consistent with it before DS was on solids, I don't think it increased my supply, but rather just helped me stay hydrated since I enjoyed drinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rdh2378 View Post
    check out this link for further clarification of what PP was stating... 6-7oz is a LOT of breastmilk
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    1.5oz times the 9.5 hours that I'm gone (7:30 am - 5:00pm) = 13.5 oz, which is about what DS takes in while I'm gone (in two bottles). If it were just 1 oz per 9.5 hours, then he should eat 9.5 oz while I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Is 7-9 oz of total BM pumped in four sessions, actually good? That's only enough for 1-1.5 bottle for DS while I'm gone.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. But you are right - being a full-time working Mom IS HARD and you are absolutely doing the best you can. However things turn out will be totally fine. I would definately try to decrease the amount in his bottles, especially if he doesn't usually act hungry. A word about my experience with fenugreek - I was using a particular brand while pumping and had good results. One day, I bought a different brand to try and noticed a decrease in my supply. I went back online and bought the brand I had previously been using - and supply went right back up. So I would encourage you to try fenugreek again - a different brand or bottle. Here is what worked for me: http://www.drugstore.com/natures-way...srch=fenugreek.
    Best of luck to you and take good care of yourself!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong