Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 month old going thru the terrible twos?

Unhappy 11 month old going thru the terrible twos?

My son is a loving kind child. But this past week he has been fussy, crying, upset and wanting to nurse all the time. I had masitis this past week and he would get upset if I couldn't nurse him on the breast that was infected. My OB told me I shouldn't nurse him on that side. However, it's started to clear up but he is so fussy. Could he be going thru a growth spurt or could it be because of the antibotics? I just don't know what to do with him. I want to make it better, but I just don't know how. Any suggestions?

Default Re: 11 month old going thru the terrible twos?

Is there a reason other than mastitis that your OB may have had for not nursing on the side with mastitis? I haven't had it since dd was a newborn, but both the pediatrician and my ob told me to nurse off of that side. Are you pumping on that side?

My almost 11 mo goes through stages, when she wants to nurse more frequently, but it is usually associated with not feeling well, teething, etc.

I don't have a lot of advice to give but thought maybe some encouragement would help. You are doing great!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thank you so much. And no she didn't give me a reason as to why not to nurse on that side. Even when I asked what her reasoning was. I always heard to continue to nurse on that side. She is a new OB and not one I've seen before. So I think maybe it's just her opinion. She didn't say. But I have been pumping on that side. And now that the knot is gone and the swelling done, I've started nursing him again.
    I think maybe he is teething again. He has 8 teeth so far and I think he is getting his molars. But I'm not sure since he won't let me see.
    But thank you for the encouragement. I think we all need it from time to time

Hi, melissabourne
    I'm so glad you are starting to feel better.
    Those molars can really be uncomfortable. Maybe he's not feeling well otherwise? Mastitis can make your milk taste saltier and some babies don't like that. Then again, maybe the disruption in your routine (not being able to nurse on one side) was hard for him, too?
    Here's an link to a FAQ on masitits.
    My breast hurts. What can I do?
    It says: "Breastfeeding should continue during treatment of any of these conditions. If an infection is present, the baby is safe from any germs due to the antibacterial properties of human milk. Continuing to breastfeed when experiencing a sore breast, plugged duct or breast infection will speed recovery."
    HTH and everyone's back to normal soon!
    Mary
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMaryP; November 4th, 2006 at 10:23 PM.