Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue smacking and other ?'s

Default Tongue smacking and other ?'s

DD is 7 weeks and frequently sucking on and thrusting her tongue, even after a sufficient feed. She is also beginning to suck on her hand a lot (she didn't do this until recently). More often than not if I offer the breast again she gets upset, and I'm noticing the tongue sucking/smacking is correlating with times she needs help falling asleep. She will not take any artificial nipples, pacifiers included). So is it always a hunger sign or could she be using it as a soothing technique?

Also, with the not taking artificial nipples...she plain won't take anything but me, even if I have to leave her. Last week I had a root canal done and was gone for 4 hours. She wouldn't take any expressed milk. We've tried bottles, syringe, cup/spoon. She will accept the first sip or two and then get upset. Is she likely to accept it later on? I have more dental work I need done but I am afraid to leave her if she won't eat.

How long is the longest she should go without nursing during the day? I'm noticing her start to space things out a bit more and she is less predictable. I'm experiencing daytime engorgement for the first time and worried that she isn't eating frequently enough.

Default Re: Tongue smacking and other ?'s

As babies get older, the really primitive inborn rooting and sucking reflexes generally become less reliable as hunger cues. The baby discovers that she can suck on her hands or on her own tongue and may start using it as a self-soothing technique. Take it as a sign of her rapidly developing brain!

Regarding artificial nipples, she may eventually decide to take a bottle or a paci. You have to keep trying and keep trying different types of bottles and nipples. Having someone who is not you offer the bottle may make a difference: breastfed babies rarely like taking bottles from their moms, since they know that mom has the real goods just a few millimeters away!

The longest a breastfed baby should go without eating... Hmm, I'd say 3-4 hours. But watch her diapers- they will give you the real story. As long as your LO is producing adequate wet and poopy diapers, you can just follow her lead and feed on demand, even if that seems less or more frequent than average.

It must suck to delay dental work due to your baby resisting a bottle! Would it be possible for a caregiver to come with you, and bring the baby to you so that she can nurse during a procedure?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We tried taking the kids to my initial visit, but I'm afraid there would be too much movement or distraction during actual procedures. ( I have significant dentist anxiety on a good day) and the work involves a lot of drilling. Last week was a root canal that took almost 3 hrs to finish, and they had to xray as they go. I really can't put stuff off much longer or they'll end up pulling teeth. I also have a rambunctious 5yo that would be tagging along. So far we've kept appts at times when DH is home, and the baby is *usually* sleeping a long stretch at that time of day. But it seems she won't do that when I am gone either. Poor DH was a disheveled mess when I got home last time.

I am going through something similar now, at 4.5 months. Ped said she might be teething. Back at around 7 weeks, though, DD was just figuring out she had hands and tounge and did what you were describing. She seems to stimulate/soothe herself by chewing on her hands. Could be what your LO is doing. I tried several different pacifier/soothers and she won't take ANY regularly, and will only VERY occassionally take the "soothie" from the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*BeautifulChaos View Post
    DD is 7 weeks and frequently sucking on and thrusting her tongue, even after a sufficient feed. She is also beginning to suck on her hand a lot (she didn't do this until recently). More often than not if I offer the breast again she gets upset, and I'm noticing the tongue sucking/smacking is correlating with times she needs help falling asleep. She will not take any artificial nipples, pacifiers included). So is it always a hunger sign or could she be using it as a soothing technique?

Also, with the not taking artificial nipples...she plain won't take anything but me, even if I have to leave her. Last week I had a root canal done and was gone for 4 hours. She wouldn't take any expressed milk. We've tried bottles, syringe, cup/spoon. She will accept the first sip or two and then get upset. Is she likely to accept it later on? I have more dental work I need done but I am afraid to leave her if she won't eat.

How long is the longest she should go without nursing during the day? I'm noticing her start to space things out a bit more and she is less predictable. I'm experiencing daytime engorgement for the first time and worried that she isn't eating frequently enough.

Sounds like she is soothing herself. Don't lose heart...she will probably take a pacifier or bottle later, but you have to keep working at it. I found that my first daughter would only take certain pacifiers. So only buy a few at a time as it can get quite expensive. The same for bottle nipples! Right now DD2 won't hardly take them either...mainly to help her fall asleep. Have you tried playing some gentle music for her? That always helps my DDs to ease into sleepy time. Good luck, and hang in there. It will get better!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*GAmom View Post
    Sounds like she is soothing herself. Don't lose heart...she will probably take a pacifier or bottle later, but you have to keep working at it. I found that my first daughter would only take certain pacifiers. So only buy a few at a time as it can get quite expensive. The same for bottle nipples! Right now DD2 won't hardly take them either...mainly to help her fall asleep. Have you tried playing some gentle music for her? That always helps my DDs to ease into sleepy time. Good luck, and hang in there. It will get better!
    Thank you. We have tried 4 different kinds of pacifiers and she has rejected all (by spitting out and screaming) but one. (That one she just kind of chews on then spits out). We have only tried one bottle so far. She seems to choke on the nipple (we tested this by offering it empty to make sure it wasn't just that the milk comes out faster). Its the slowest flow and says it is for newborns..Its Avent something. Is there a bottle that has a short nipple?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beautifulchaos View Post
    Thank you. We have tried 4 different kinds of pacifiers and she has rejected all (by spitting out and screaming) but one. (That one she just kind of chews on then spits out). We have only tried one bottle so far. She seems to choke on the nipple (we tested this by offering it empty to make sure it wasn't just that the milk comes out faster). Its the slowest flow and says it is for newborns..Its Avent something. Is there a bottle that has a short nipple?
    Try the nipples that are brown colored and shaped to feel more like a nipple/aerola. Not sure these are shorter, but they are shaped much differently than the typical bottle nipple. These seem to be softer, too. My daughter liked those better. Here's a link for them. And the chewing/spitting out thing is normal in my experience! This is the best link with a picture I can find.

http://www.diapers.com/p/Playtex-Nat...&ci_sku=PX-095