Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: formula or cows milk??

Question formula or cows milk??

I currently nurse my 10.5 month old DD 2 times a day and give her expressed milk in bottle 2 times per day. i have decided to stop pumping. I have enough milk stored in freezer for about a month. I am going to take a few weekend trips (mid September and early October) and can not travel with the frozen milk without it spoiling. i was wondering if i should start introducing formula so that i can give her that in the bottle when we are away. or can i give her cows milk?? I dont want to increase nursing sessions as i dont want my supply to go up... any advice???

Default Re: formula or cows milk??

You're so close to making all the way to a year... I mean, my first instinct is to encourage you to nurse more and pump more, and put your hardest effort into reaching the finish line, YKWIM? But obviously that's not something every mom can or will do, so I guess in your shoes I would probably start introducing some formula now, to make sure that the baby will take it when you run out of milk. A lot of babies don't like the taste of formula, so you may have to mix breastmilk and formula to get your LO used to the taste. Of course, the ideal is to offer just plain formula, since the storage guidelines for formula are different from those for breastmilk. A breastmilk bottle can be reused, but if you mix breastmilk and formula you have to dump it after the baby drinks from it, and I would hate for you to dump your precious milk down the drain! After a year, you can totally switch to whole cow's milk, but again, a lot of babies don't like the taste!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i know!!! i am so close! i think about it all the time! but i HATE pumping; my nipples hurt so bad after. I have a Medela that is about 10 years old and i think its is breaking down on me. I cant afford to buy a new one or rent. i am going back to work very very soon and will not have opportunity to pump if i wanted to. Anyways, i keep reading different things about when cow's milk can be introduced and if it is even necessary. Most people in USA (where I am) say one MUST wait till exactly one year, others in different areas say btw 9-12 months. I dont think it is necessary as she eats lots of broccoli and cheese, so she is set on calcium i think. I know I can up her solid intake to make up for the calories lost if i decided to cut out those two bottle sessions (if dont give her formula or milk). My concern is her naps! She drinks milk to nap. ugh this is so hard!

I was sort of in a similar situation, I chose to wean DS around 13 months. We started very slowly cutting out nursing sessions one at a time. Like one every two weeks or something like that. Anyway I just introduced cows milk around 11 months maybe a little sooner even. I figured he never had any sensivitity to dairy or anything and I drink a ton of milk myself so a month or so early wouldn't hurt him. He took to it just fine, actually he stopped wanting to nurse before I was completely ready! But that's another story I guess that's the long way of saying to me there is nothing magic about the one year or any other "recommended" age to do something. If it was me I wouldn't waste my money on formula.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

With first child we did cows milk At 10 1/2 months per pediatrician.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

thanks for all the advice! fyi, in case you all were wondering: i spoke with ped today and he said not to bother with the formula. he said after 11 months i can go straight to cow's milk. he suggested to try and wait closer to 11.5; which i think the milk will last me that long