Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help! Must wean my 2 year old :(

Default Need help! Must wean my 2 year old :(

I'm going to have to take an antibiotic (ciproflaxin) for a uti. They told me there is not a safe antibiotic to take that will get rid of this infection & still breastfeed. The doctor recommended weaning all together.

My son turned 2 in May & breastfeeds mostly for comfort~ he never took a binky, bottle, thumb, etc.

Have not started the medication yet and wanted to see if anyone had an idea to help wean quickly. I feel bad about it.....but he is 2 and I have been wanting to wean for awhile.

I'm wondering if there's anything anyone recommends for quick weaning.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you~

Default Re: Need help! Must wean my 2 year old :

You might try calling InfantRisk to see if they can help you find a medication that is compatible with breastfeeding. A lot of doctors (probably most) are not up to date on what is compatible with breastfeeding and will, almost as a reflex, tell you that you need to wean.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Did you check Dr. Hales' website?
    Nursing mothers, especially when the baby is eating solid foods, can take most medications. unless the baby has an underlying medical condition, so do your research.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I know of a lady who was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease and has to take a very strong antibiotic for a month. She was told she needed to wean her 10 month old, but she worked with a lactation consultant who worked with Dr. Hale's information and worked it out so that she could still nurse, but she has to wait 5 hours after a dose before she can nurse. It's hard, but better than weaning. If you have an IBCLC you can see, that might help, but also like PPs said, Dr. Hale's website and Infantrisk have good info. Good luck.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...ml#Antibiotics

Why can't they give you a safer antibiotic?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

FWIW, I had UTI myself when my DD was a few weeks old, was prescribed an abx and told to pump and dump for a week . I check with lactation consultants, another doc and online resources (didn't have Dr Hale's book back then) and finally took a different abx that was much more compatible with breastfeeding.
    I know you said you want to wean, but I've always heard abrupt weaning is not good for either mom or child... so if you could take the pressure off weaning immediately...

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Yeah, abrupt weaning generally isn't good for mama or baby. Especially mama, since if you go from nursing a lot to not nursing at all, you can end up with plugged ducts or mastitis, and that's going to make you feel worse than the UTI alone. But if you decide you must wean, here are some tips:
    - Get help from another adult. If they can care for your baby at a regular nursing time, you may be able to skip a feeding.
    - Distraction is your friend. Toddlers often forget to nurse when they are out and about.
    - Offer plenty of snacks and drinks- sometimes a toddler who wants to nurse really is hungry/thirsty.
    - Don't drop all the feedings at once. Drop a single feeding, wait a day or two for supply to adjust downwards, then drop another feeding, wait a couple of days, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I sent some info about cipro to the email address you registered with.

Given that your little guy is 2 and, I assume, getting most of his nutrition from solids at this point, the amount of the medication he'd be exposed to through your milk is probably very small. So while you could certainly start cutting back on nursing sessions, I wouldn't recommend weaning abruptly. It can be physically uncomfortable for mom and traumatic for baby.

mommal has some good suggestions. I would add

- leave your LO's favorite nursing time as the last to be eliminated
    - avoid your usual nursing spots (my son always wanted to nurse as soon as I sat down at the computer -- it was habit more than anything else!)
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I took a penicillin drug (amoxicillin) for a UTI while 12 weeks pregnant. My doc said it was safe for pregnant women. Not sure for breastfeeding though. Maybe worth talking to a doctor about a safer antibiotic? Also, as a natural alternative, I took cranberry in pill form to help cure UTI's that I caught in early stages (I have had quite a few over the years).

you can take keflex, its a common one for uti & is safe while BF