Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with 2 week old

Default Re: Help with 2 week old

Baby boy had his follow up appt today to check his weight. He's now three weeks old. I supplemented him with the tube set up at the breast when he seemed unsatisfied last week, but he only seemed to need it once a day for the first two or three days, then it was back to exclusively breastmilk. He seemed satisfied, so I thought we were doing OK. Nope. He's only gained another 3 ounces; so he's still 7 oz. shy of his birth weight. Doc says he's gaining at a steady rate, but he's not gaining enough. I was told to supplement at every feeding.
    I can't put into words how utterly disheartened and discouraged I am with the whole process. I've lost confidence in my ability to feed my child and in my judgement on how content he is and how well he's doing. I don't know what else to do. Half the time I can't seem to keep him awake to feed well, and he seems immune to all the little tricks. Night time feedings and the first morning feeding are the only ones I don't have to convince him to stay awake for. Doc's checked him for health problems. None. BF just doesn't seem to be working well for us. I feel so lost.

can you ask pediatrician if you can supplement with fortifier in expressed breastmilk instead of with straight formula? My LO was a month early, hospitalized at day 5 due to jaundice & inability to eat, in NICU for 13 days, slow to learn to eat at the breast, but has gone from 25% to 50% now for weight for her actual age. We worked with an LC MANY times, bought a scale at home to do pre/post feed weights, used a nipple shield for almost 3 months (hated it, but it worked on getting her to latch better).
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Mama: Don't get discouraged. You are doing an amazing job! It's easy to nurse when everything is going perfectly. But when you're facing a significant hurdle, it's the hardest thing in the world to trust that you are doing the right thing. Just remember that every oz of breastmilk your baby takes in at the breast is an oz less that he needs to be supplemented with, and there's every chance that if you just hang in there, he will eventually wake up and become a proficient breastfeeder. Do you have a pump? If you must supplement, do it with your own milk- it has more calories per oz than formula and pumping will keep your supply up for the day when your LO decides that bottles are for chumps.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I own a manual pump. I can't afford an electric one. I used the manual one at work when I was attempting to BF with my daughter. I never got much out with it, though that could also simply be that I had little to pump out in the first place. By the time I went back to work, DD was getting maybe a quarter of her nourishment from BF/breastmilk.
    I don't think the doc would mind if I used expressed breastmilk (she did ask if I owned a pump), I'm just not sure I can get any. My DD (18 mos) is already acting out a lot with all the time I've spent trying to get BF working with my son. I've tried my pump a couple of times, but haven't been able to get anything out. I'm feeling like a bad mama all around ATM with not being able to get DS enough calories and taking so much time and attention away from DD. Erf, now I feel like I'm whining. I apologize. Tired and frustrated.
    Anyway, I'm bound and determined to avoid a bottle, so I'll continue to use the SNS thing; and I'm not offering that until he's nursed on both sides. Maybe it'll help me produce a bit more while it keeps him actively sucking longer.
    Thanks again for the encouragement. It was a rough day. It seems like, in spite of my best efforts, I'm heading down the same road I did with DD; it's just taking longer this time. I'm going down fighting, though!

Sorry to hear about the pump situation, mama. Are you eligible for WIC? I know they sometimes offer pumps, and not just manual ones, IIRC. If not, maybe it makes sense to really evaluate your finances and see if you can squeeze out a couple of hundred $? If you can get breastfeeding on track, and not use formula, that investment could save you about $1000-1500 over your baby's first year, depending on the brand of formula you'd otherwise be buying...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We just miss the WIC requirements. We're looking into the pump situation. Started supplementing yesterday, as per the doc's orders. It opened up a floodgate! I haven't been able to satisfy him on just the breast since We got no sleep last night. Everything's been turned upside down. I'm now worried about ever being able to satisfy his appetite without supplementing.