Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nips

Question Sore nips

Help me trouble shoot, ladies.

My nips have been sore as heck for the last few days. It hurts really bad when she first latches on, the kind of pain you get when you are first nursing a newborn. The pain lasts for a minute or two, then gradually subsides throughout the nursing session. I think her latch is okay, b/c my nipples are not misshapen, and she opens wide, all that stuff. She has two bottom teeth, but has had them for a while and has never given me problems w/ them.

They may be a bit pinkish, but the skin looks normal otherwise - no peeling, crusting or flaking. They don't look raw at all.

They hurt all the time, even to put a bra on or if I accidentally brush against something. Pumping hurt pretty bad this morning at work.

I keep thinking AF is coming (b/c of a dip in pumping output at work, sore lower back, increased discharge, etc), but hasn't yet. I know for a fact that I'm not preg.

Thoughts?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: Sore nips

HMMM, just a thought, thrush?
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    HMMM, just a thought, thrush?
    I had a case of thrush with Joe not that long ago that had me pretty confused for a long time. It didn't hurt TERRIBLY, but it was constantly sore. It was diff't than the thrush I had when Joe was a newborn. So don't rule out an infection, it can happen.

That, or she'll pop a new tooth tomorrow and you'll say, "Ah! ..."

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I took some Diflucan yesterday, but I guess I need to put something topical on them and/or in M's mouth as well.

I was afraid that's what it could be, but really didn't want it to be that
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Does your daughter have any symptoms? A yeasty diaper rash?

If not, I would probably treat myself and if it went away, not worry about it. That's what I did this last time. I gave Joe some probiotics, and that was it. I didn't sterilize anything. But it was a mild case.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Nope, no symptoms on her. I'll give it a couple of days and then treat us both w/ topicals if it's not better.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

What if just ONE nip is sore??? And not just sore but cracked and bleeding?? We had thrush about a month ago but treated with Diflucan and **think** we are over it. but my left areola is a painful, cracked, bleeding, flaking mess.......righty is fine. Why would that be? If I had thrush wouldn't both nipples be affected? If I had a poor latch wouldn't it be poor on both sides? I have had two plugged ducts in my left breast as well. Guess she's just the persnickety one.