Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Number of milk ducts

Default Number of milk ducts

When you pump, you know how you see the jets of milk spray out? Is that indicative of the amount of milk ducts that you have?

Are the number of milk ducts something that can change - or is that just how you are, anatomically?

I always have more spray out on one side, so I was just curious.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Number of milk ducts

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    When you pump, you know how you see the jets of milk spray out? Is that indicative of the amount of milk ducts that you have?

Are the number of milk ducts something that can change - or is that just how you are, anatomically?

I always have more spray out on one side, so I was just curious.

http://www.llli.org/docs/0_babupdate...ateanatomy.pdf

^^ This article might help you to understand the anatomy of the breast better it was very educational for me as I had similar questions

To kind of answer and quote the main points of the article, "The area just below the areola is filled with glandular tissue just like the rest of the breast (Ramsey 2005, Geddes 2009). The ducts begin to branch very close to the nipple, within 8 mm (0.3 inch) of the areola(Ramsey 2005)."

the ducts are usually around 8mm away from the areola

the AVERAGE number of ducts that open to the surface are between 5 and 9.

"There are many more ducts within the nipple that do not open to the surface...The fact that not all ducts communicate with the nipple surface was noted by Cooper when he could find 22 ducts, but could only inject 12 from the nipple surface (Cooper 1845). We do not understand why this happens."

Ducts transport milk!
    The diameter of ducts is between 2–3 mm (0.1 inch) at rest(Ramsey 2004).The duct size increases by 40–70% with the milk ejection reflex and decreases when the milk ejection reflex is over. Milk left in the ducts at that time is transported back deeper into the breast for storage(Ramsey 2004). We currently understand that the ducts transport milk, but do not store it(Ramsey 2005).

So ducts aren't attached to the nipple, glandular tissue is what delivers it through the nipple. so i wouldnt believe that milk streams would indicate how many ducts you have. Just how many nipple holes you have