Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ooouccch.

Default Ooouccch.

DS is almost 10 months old now (I can't even believe it!!) but my left breast has had a rough 24 hours. This is sort of a two part post:

1.) Yesterday, I started feeling bruised when he latched, and when he unlatched I noticed 4 teeth marks (his top teeth). I don't feel him actually biting, so I don't know exactly what he is doing. It looks normal and I don't know how long he has been doing it - it has felt on and off bruised for a few days, but I just noticed the teeth marks yesterday. How do I fix this if I don't know what he's doing wrong? It's not an actual bite, so I can't do the "no biting" routine I enacted a few months back.

2.)Then, last night, he only woke up twice to nurse (usually still 3-4 times a night), and the second time he only nursed on one side (happened to be the right) before falling back asleep. So, I woke up this morning soaking wet on my left and extremely engorged on that side also. It hurts so bad - I forgot what it felt like! I pumped a little bit and he woke up while I was pumping, so I just latched him on that side. I am still so sore from it...I can't wait for him to be ready to nurse again! If he continues to sleep more (which I hope and pray he does...this is one tired lady), what's the best way to handle the engorgement? In the morning, or should I pump a little bit in the middle of the night too??

TIA my LLL ladies!

\
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Default Re: Ooouccch.

Ouch indeed! Not sure what to do about #1, but as for #2, there are two ways to handle it:
    1. Put up with it. The longer you leave milk unused in the breast, and the more milk you leave there, the faster engorgement generally diminishes and disappears. (And no, this will no decrease the amount of milk available during the day!)
    2. Express, but do the minimum necessary to restore comfort. Pumping or better yet hand expressing a modest amount of milk will slow the diminishment process somewhat, but it won't derail it the way pumping/expressing until empty will.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your quick response, that's what I was thinking. Trying to go back to those early days and remember, but you know how chaotic those early weeks are, it's hard to remember everything.

Also, he just nursed, but wanted the right side - and when I let-down, my left side was THROBBING. I can deal with the engorgement, but I was very prone to mastitis (i got it 5 times in the first 10 weeks), so I don't want to end up with clogged ducts. I think I will hand express just a teeny bit throughout the night if he continues to only nurse one side to avoid the clogged ducts/mastitis.

Thanks for your help Sometimes it just feels good to feel connected to other nursing mamas...I tell my DH and although he's supportive, he can't empathize!
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

I think that's a good plan. Especially since you are prone to mastitis. When a baby is teething or starts sleeping for long stretches at night, it's good to be extra vigilant, because that's often when plugged ducts or mastitis crop back up.

I know what you mean about your DH- men just can't completely get it! Even the well-intentioned and supportive ones.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"