Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2nd baby 1st time pumping

Default 2nd baby 1st time pumping

With my daughter I had the pleasure of being a sahm for 14 months. I would pump if i wanted to go out for a drink. I didnt have a problem getting milk then.

This time around pumping I HAVE to pump i am working in 4 wks!

I have this pump i bought a new one this baby (i used the same one with dd)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Playtex-Pe...i_sku=10817661

I tried pumping my first time this morning right after my son had nursed. I tried ten mins pumping both breasts, took off pump massaged breasts, pumped singly for another 5 on each side. I got 3/4's a ounce total.

Tried pumping again 5ish hours later after he had nursed again and i literally got a couple drops nothing more! I tried hand expressing it seemed to get MORE milk but still was just drops.

I know when i nurse my almost 4 wk old at breast he gets plenty enough cuz he has gained signifcant weight and has way enough poo and pee diapers. so i know my supply is right for him. I just think my body makes just the right amount for him nothing more nothing less.

again this is my first time pumping cuz i have too. I will be workin 4 days a wk all 6 hour shifts, and 1 8 hour shift. I am able to pump at work when need be. I just need to make sure I CAN get milk when i do so, and currently I am getting practically nothing.

Do I just need to keep pumping? Am i pumping at wrong time? Is it my stupid pump?

Usually my son nurses every hour and a half to 2 hours for 25-30 mins total. he nurses both sides as well. so i dont have much time to pump inbetween him nursing?

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: 2nd baby 1st time pumping

I am not familiar with that pump, but having read the reviews it may be the pump itself. Now you will never get as much pumping between feedings as you do when you are pumping in place of a feeding. The description of the pump says that it is designed for occasional use; you probably will want one that is designed for daily use. I am a teacher and pump twice a day, 5 days a week. With each of mine I have used a Medela Pump-in-style. They are expensive but they work really well. I know other Moms here use different pumps that work for them.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Hi! I agree with PP. i think you are getting very little just because you are not used to the pump. i got a few drops the first few times. your body will get used to it over time but a pump just does not remove milk efficiently like a baby does.

also, i would invest in a better pump if you are planning on pumping daily. there are a couple of good discount places:
    www.bestbuybaby.com
    www.nursingmothersupplies.com
    Totally worth it! you need a good pump if its everyday! or 4 days a week in your case
    i got mine from nursing mother supplies for $219 ...and i got a hands free bra
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; August 21st, 2011 at 05:31 PM.

I agree, it may be the pump as well. Can you try nursing him on one side and pump on the other? You might get more that way.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

thing is, this is my last kid. I didnt want to spend 200-300 on a pump so i spent the 80 on that one.. at babiesrus. i plan on nursing as long as ds wants too and i dont forsee me NOT working anytime soon so i MUST work and i MUST pump. My friend offered her bm, she has mass oversupply her son is 2 wks younger then mine, and shes gonna be pumping for work as well. Im tempted to take her upon her offer of her givnig me bm for my son. my husband thinks its kind of weird though.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

It's the pump. Someone gave me one of those. I couldn't get anything out.

For about $120-140, you can get a Medela Swing. It's a one-sided electric pump, but it's better than a Playtex. For $150, you can get a Lansinoh Affinity, which is a double electric. If you combine a 20% off coupon at BRU with the sale (it may be running now) you can get it for probably about $100.

Since you want to nurse and pump, you need to have a good enough pump to keep your supply up while you are at work. And that's going to take spending a little bit more to get a good pump. Otherwise, on weekends, you will NOT have enough milk. You won't have enough milk for during the week either. And you should. You successfully nursed before. You can make enough milk. You just need the right tools. Don't shoot yourself in the foot to "save" a couple hundred bucks! You'll spend all that plus some on supplemental formula!

The First Years one stinks too. Don't buy it either.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have to agree with the previous posters that while donor milk is great if you can't produce enough yourself (I used it myself when I needed to, and since then, I've given it), your body is producing the milk your baby needs, and you need to get it removed while you're away to maintain an adequate supply for him. Yes, good pumps are expensive, but aprilsmagic makes an excellent point that you'll end up spending all that money on formula if you don't maintain your supply.

I found that I got a great price on my pump at www.addalittlelove.com. You might shoot them an e-mail to see what their offers are.

Also, if hand expressing works for you, you can fill bottles that way. It never worked for me, but I know a nursing mother of four who worked when her kids nursed, and she was able to fill bottles by hand more quickly than I could with a pump. I was astounded!
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Also remember to pump in the morning, you have a lot of milk at that time. And try to relax and picture your baby, because seeing your baby will help you have a letdown.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*