Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Endless burbing sessions at night

Default Endless burbing sessions at night

OK I need ideas ladies.
    I get up 2-3 times a night to breastfeed and I've learned to do it lying down so it helps a lot with how tired I am in the day.
    But how do you manage to have your little one burp without waking him up before putting him back to bed?
    After his drink, baby is all sleepy and I could put him right back to his crib without a problem, but when I try to burp him he gets all fussy and it takes SO much time for the burp to come out (walking around, patting his back, etc for 15-20 minutes sometimes) that I'm exausted the next day.

If I don't have him burp at all, he wakes up much too early for his next meal and is so bloated and cranky and it's even worst for us both then.
    Any tips?

Default Re: Endless burbing sessions at night

Hi mama! Congrats on your little boy
    Could you try maybe burping him in the middle of the feeding instead of after
    DD was NEVER a burper. When she would get gassy I had to rub her tummy (clockwise direction) and do the bicycling of the legs. If it go really bad, I had to give her Mylicon drops. Plus, when they have a good latch I don't think they swallow much air Unless they were crying a bit before eating which they do take in some air.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Well at night, I only offer one breast at each feeding ( I know they produce at least 3-4 oz each when full) and it seems enough for him to get back to sleep, so I don't really have a time when I stop in the middle to burp.
    My main concern is needing to get up and walk around in the middle of the night. It burns me out.

I wish he didnt *need* burping, but even at night, with seemingly a good latch and relaxed, he always have monster burps building up.
    I tell you, my little guy is a big old gas-ball! Always fussing for either a burp or a fart, it's sometimes painful to watch him struggle just to pass a bubble.

Aw mama. Don't worry he'll get it in no time and keep farting/burping making you laugh. It is very exhausting!
    Is there something you have at night to drink/eat that may be giving him extra gas At the beginning, DD didn't tolerate it very well when I'd have foods with soy. It made her fussy and super gassy.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...