Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reversing "Reverse Cycling?"

Default Reversing "Reverse Cycling?"

I'm looking for suggestions or wondering if anyone has been through something similar.
    Prior to returning to work, LO slept about 6 hours through the night. After I returned to work, he started getting up 2-3 times per night. I'm not sure if that's related to going back to work or just trying to take in extra calories. Anyway, our current schedule has somehow managed to become waking up ever 1-2 hours to nurse during the night (11, 1am, 3am, 4am, 5am) and then going 3-4 hours (sometimes 5) between nursing/bottle feeding during the day. This is getting extremely tiresome to me, I can survive on the weekends because I can sleep in a little, but am exhausted at work. Does anyone have suggestions for how to get the waking up at night to decrease in frequency? I've tried to get him to cluster feed in the evening, but he's too fussy about nursing in the evening.

Default Re: Reversing "Reverse Cycling?"

I don't have any suggestions but I'm also interested in the replies. I am having the same issue with my baby, even though I'm not back at work. How old is your baby? Mine is 21 weeks. I wonder if it's the age? I try to feed her often during the day, even if she's asleep (she feeds without waking up), but she still wakes up at night.

Is your DCP offering to feed your LO more frequently during the day, or just waiting for cues that he is hungry? Perhaps just offering more frequently might help.

How old is your baby? Could he perhaps be teething or have some other issue that is waking him at night? Maybe he does miss you because you're back at work, and just feels he needs to reconnect with you when he can.

A lot of moms deal with the frequent night wakings by co-sleeping. I don't know if you are already doing this or what your comfort level is with it, but IME it's helped me survive a similar overnight schedule that you have been dealing with.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laurak83 View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions or wondering if anyone has been through something similar.
    Prior to returning to work, LO slept about 6 hours through the night. After I returned to work, he started getting up 2-3 times per night. I'm not sure if that's related to going back to work or just trying to take in extra calories. Anyway, our current schedule has somehow managed to become waking up ever 1-2 hours to nurse during the night (11, 1am, 3am, 4am, 5am) and then going 3-4 hours (sometimes 5) between nursing/bottle feeding during the day. This is getting extremely tiresome to me, I can survive on the weekends because I can sleep in a little, but am exhausted at work. Does anyone have suggestions for how to get the waking up at night to decrease in frequency? I've tried to get him to cluster feed in the evening, but he's too fussy about nursing in the evening.
    I, too, am experiencing the EXACT same thing! Everything from sleeping fine to every 1-2hrs. I thought you were describing my life and was wondering how in the world you knew my sleeping patterns and my lo's behaviors these past few weeks. My DD is almost 6mos in a few weeks and is doing the same. I have no advice, but only to offer some hugs cause I am also sleep deprived and know EXACTLY how you are feeling. I'm also curious as to how I can get this little girl back to sleeping more at night. I'll be following closely. Great question!
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Big Brother Evan 3 years old 03/30/08 for 7 months

Constantly , at work, loves to all the time

Please excuse my typos!

Glad/sorry to hear there are other people going through this. DS is almost 4 months, so it sounds like we may be in for a few more months of this. We are already cosleeping, and I think this might be part of the problem. Most of the time when he's awake and fussing it seems to be that he's hungry. However, I've noticed that he starts to cry if he can't fall asleep in his cosleeper. I'll bring him into the bed, and he doesn't want to nurse, but falls asleep as soon as he's in the big-people bed. I sleep very poorly when he's in the bed, he wants to lean against me and his little arms flailing around in his sleep whack me ever 10 minutes waking me up. I've been trying to put him more and more into his crib, and if I nursed him less than an hour when he cries I ignore him and he'll usually stop and go back to sleep. I couldn't do that this weekend - my in-laws were visiting and I didn't want him crying in his crib and waking up the whole house. I've also found that I can sleep better if I cosleep on our big couch with him, because I can rest my back against the back of the couch and sleep while he's nursing, it's difficult for me to get comfortable enough to fall asleep nursing in bed.

As far as daycare, DS stays with my mom during the day. We originally tried feeding him after he wakes up from a nap. I was concerned she would over-feed him during the day and I'd have issues maintaining supply, but it seems like to avoid that we swung the opposite way and he can go for long stretches during the day where he won't eat. I think I'll try having her give him his first bottle right after he's dropped off at 8 instead of when he wakes up from his nap at 10, but this also means I have to find time to pump once more. He already fusses when she tries to give him a bottle, frequently he's got a full 4oz bottle that he hasn't gone through when I pick him up. He maintains this during the weekend, he went from 7am to 12noon without wanting to nurse (got made if I offered to him).

Anyway, I'm hoping this gets better soon for me and for all you!

My first daughter did this and I survived. Without making her cry herself to sleep. Ever. And now at almost three she sleeps through the night, most nights. In her own bed, falling asleep by herself. It can be done without crying.

My 7 month old is doing this now too... she is too busy to nurse or eat during the day, she prefers to make up the calories at night. So I cosleep and nurse her because she is a baby and I am an adult and I know that it is a really short window in time. I also don't keep track of how many times she woke up or look at the clock to see how long it's been since the last time because that is just frustrating and makes it seem worse.

It will get better with time.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    My 7 month old is doing this now too... she is too busy to nurse or eat during the day, she prefers to make up the calories at night. So I cosleep and nurse her because she is a baby and I am an adult and I know that it is a really short window in time. I also don't keep track of how many times she woke up or look at the clock to see how long it's been since the last time because that is just frustrating and makes it seem worse.

It will get better with time.
    I've just posted in the weaning forum about something similar in my 7 month old, who has been tending to eat a lot of solids during the day and nurse at night (leaving me full in the evening and empty in the morning!). We've been through various phases of more or less frequent night waking, and him wanting to sleep right next to me, but he's never slept as well again as he did between 3 and 4 months old.

I do also find frequent night waking (every 1-2 hours) difficult, though, and very tiring, though I am lucky enough not to have to be at work. I have been trying some gentle methods to encourage him to sleep longer stretches while co-sleeping in a sidecar arrangement (I really suffer with hip and back pain when he sleeps right next to me, as I can't reposition as much/as freely as I need to), accepting that this will be a gradual process. I've been using the No-cry Sleep Solution, with mixed results so far (some good nights with only 2 wakings, others with more) but remain ever-hopeful!

I do hope it gets better for you!

I don't know if this is a danger to supply or anything, but could you perhaps get your husband to get up and give him that extra bottle (left over from day) at night when he fusses (one time or two)? Maybe if he sees he will just get a bottle he will stop waking for it? My son started doing the exact same thing recently (in the last couple weeks) where he would fuss in his co-sleeper and wouldn't settle, so I would think he was hungry. But when I would bring him in bed he would just fall asleep. And I am the same as you, I find it uncomfortable to sleep with him because he gets all up in my business no matter how many times I move him away.

We went back to swaddling recently to combat this. He now does a long stretch again at the beginning of the night (usually 4-6 hours). Then he ends up in the bed, mostly because I am too lazy to get up and reswaddle him properly. Last night he was annoying the crap out of me in the bed, wouldn't stop moving. So I got up and swaddled him super fast and TIGHT and he literally smiled when I picked him up to rock him. I did one swing and he was asleep. I put him in the bed and he slept 3 hours without kicking and hitting me, sweet!

Good luck. I have a feeling I am going to be going through this more as I return to work next week ;__;

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LAURAK83 View Post
    I've also found that I can sleep better if I cosleep on our big couch with him, because I can rest my back against the back of the couch and sleep while he's nursing, it's difficult for me to get comfortable enough to fall asleep nursing in bed.
    I know exactly how you feel! Even though we co-sleep, I am unable to sleep while she is actually nursing, in part because of the difficulty of getting comfortable in that position without something supporting me. I would really caution strongly against dozing on the couch with your LO, though. I know it is more comfortable, but, even if he isn't rolling over yet, it is very easy for a baby to launch himself off a couch if you aren't awake to monitor his every move. What about using a body pillow behind your back so you could be more comfortable nursing in bed? Or even just a rolled up blanket or towel?
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010