Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Improper latch/position question

Default Improper latch/position question

I've posted previously about my daughter having green, mucousy poop that sometimes are very sour smelling. Thankfully, many have responded and the general consensus is that she probably has a milk protein intolerance. I am not 100% convinced this is the problem entirely (although I am definitely working on it!) Here's a bit of history with me:

I have over-active let down issues; hind milk/foremilk imbalance. I have changed techniques and the green poops are gone! Color is now normal, but mucous and occasional foul odor still remains (as well as baby is gassy and can have extreme crying spells). After watching videos of proper latch and position, I have discovered other incorrect techniques I am doing. I've been holding her head incorrectly so that she can't swallow the milk is easily, and she is attaching too shallow (and sometimes sliding off the nipple while nursing.) She falls asleep easily, takes forever to feed, and still acts hungry. She is gaining well and is mostly content. Some days are bad, some are good.

So my question is this...could it possibly be the problems she is having result from my nursing issues vs. a milk protein intolerance? I am not dismissing this, but I would hate to eliminate foods and this not even be the issue. I am going to see the assistance of an LC next week from my hospital, but I would love to hear advice, opinions, thoughts from others!

Default Re: Improper latch/position question

Hi Ga Mom , No harm will come of you correcting your positioning and latching issues, and that is great news that even a little change has produced some great improvements! I think mummas are sometimes quite quick to blame their milk for their baby's problems (suck up that guilt Ladies!). There are so many reasons for a baby to have green poo, and that might not even be a problem in itself. A quick visit to an LC, and change of latch may very well help with the gas and crying, and who knows you may still be able to tuck into a big cheesey cheese, ice-cream, butter milk-shake.
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

with the PP. No harm will come from improving your baby's latch and fixing the oversupply/OALD issues. And it could be the root cause of the weird poos. Oversupply can definitely cause green, mucousy, and even blood flecked or streaked poops- my kid is living proof of that. I don't know that you can rule out a dairy protein intolerance based on the fact that the symptoms you are seeing have multiple potential causes. But it does provide you with another angle from which to attack the problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Definitely not ruling out the dairy, but I didn't know if the above was maybe causing a temporary lactose intolerance. Also, I had a major thought this morning...I am wondering if corn is the culprit, too! Not saying that the other issues aren't the problem, but I am beginning to think I may have more than one problem on my hands! I have tried not to eat horribly, but I did indulge myself in movie popcorn and a pack of Twizzlers licorice a few weeks back. That night, she had horrific stomach issues and cried incessantly! A few days later is when she had the bloody stool. Interestingly, our other daughter could not eat popcorn for awhile, as it would upset her stomach badly and give her very painful gas...thrashing about and screaming in pain kind! So I made sure she was not allowed to have popcorn from anyone. We waited until she was older (she's 3) and now she can handle it. I kind of think it was hard for her to digest? She's had plenty of milk products and shown no reactions to them, so I know it wasn't the butter on the popcorn causing her problem. So this morning when I remembered eating it, and my other daughter reacted, and now the newborn, I am really starting to suspect. I went over my diet the last few weeks, and I was shocked at how many corn products I had consumed without realizing! I consumed a bit more this week, and the mucus increased greatly. So I am trying to avoid corn/corn products and see what happens. I think it would be interesting after all of this, if this was the main problem! She is gaining well, and eating wonderfully (gains about 2 pounds a month...great for a 7 week old.) Am starting to suspect she has a mild case of reflux, also. Not easy to pinpoint, but I think I am seeing a pattern?